Headless chick

Grass6

Hatching
Aug 5, 2021
Is it a mink what would leave a chicken body in tact but take its head, and consume its blood?? I’ve noticed eggs missing the last couple weeks but now I lost a small young hen.

I've heard owls do that. What time of day did this happen? Was the chick in the run, the coop, or free ranging at the time? How many birds do you have? I think minks kill wantonly and would not have taken just the one, unless it was interrupted. I'm sorry this happened. What kind of fencing do you have?

I've heard owls do that. What time of day did this happen? Was the chick in the run, the coop, or free ranging at the time? How many birds do you have? I think minks kill wantonly and would not have taken just the one, unless it was interrupted. I'm sorry this happened. What kind of fencing do you have?
It’s a dog kennel, but I wrapped the bottom in chicken wire and I covered the top with chicken wire. A little wooden chicken coop is attached so they can go in and lay eggs. An owl or hawk can’t get into this pen. It would be extremely difficult for a coon. But something small like a weasel could fit Thru the holes maybe..?

:welcome :frow So sorry for your loss. Several predator will take the head. coons can reach through chicken wire. I suggest that if you have a camera put it up because most likely whatever it is, will be back and has probably been lurking. I have several cameras up around on my property I see a predator on at least one of my cameras most nights when they roam here. Good luck...

It’s a dog kennel, but I wrapped the bottom in chicken wire and I covered the top with chicken wire. A little wooden chicken coop is attached so they can go in and lay eggs. An owl or hawk can’t get into this pen. It would be extremely difficult for a coon. But something small like a weasel could fit Thru the holes maybe..?
Quite a few things can fit through chicken wire, including small snakes that are known to eat eggs.

Where do you live generally. Some parts of the country have different predators but most are pretty much everywhere. Again good luck...
AccountDetailsLocation.jpg

Back
Top Bottom