Headless chicken

gladraffe

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
My boyfriend chased a coyote out of our backyard this morning right before he had to go to work. He told me it may have gotten a chicken. I went out and saw that we had a headless chicken in our chicken bath. :( The coyote didn't break the wiring but he stuck his nose/mouth in and tried to yank her out, only to get her head/neck. She was our head hen so I assume she was trying to protect the others. I'm so sad.

So sorry for your loss. It will most likely be back and look for another opportunity. I have had plenty of issues with coyotes in the past. Now I have electric wires around all of my coops and pens and several game cameras. Very early this morning my birds were fussing unusually loud. When I went out to check the cameras this morning, there were tracks around one coop in particular but the birds are all ok. I'm sure the predators know the hot wires are there.

One thing I have learned over the years is that coyotes are nearly impossible to trap.
DSCF0014 01.jpg

One thing I have learned over the years is that coyotes are nearly impossible to trap.
View attachment 2654671
I used a bird that had died as bait. Somehow the coyote which wouldn't go into the trap but managed to get a hold of a leg on the bird and actually dragged the trap which is 5' long but wouldn't go into it.

Back
Top Bottom