HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

I would not worry too much about human illness. This is not the same as the Asian avian flu that infected people. Even the strain that can infect people has a fairly low mortality rate compared to other diseases that are much more prevalent.

Let me correct that for you. You are referring to H5N1 -- Asian bird flu. It has a 90-100% mortality rate in chickens and a 60% mortality rate in humans. Pigs and donkeys also get it. If you catch H5N1 the odds of you surviving it are not with you.

In their defense, they did actually attemp to (and thought they did) notify the owners of the chickens. That blame rests squarely on my father. :) My mom and dad are long divorced and have separate houses on the same property. They knocked on dad's door snd he failed to call her. The chicken's are 100% hers...though he loves them, too. But I guarantee if my mother had a shotgun they definitely would have been staring down the barrel while they explained themselves. She can be a feisty little thing! :) I suppose they coukd have been usung disposable booties But they had to use the same nets and there was no indication they sanitized them in any way between flocks. Of course, once she was out there she told tgem to put their stupid nets up and stop scaring her girls and called each one to her to be picked up. I, too, was surprised that they only tested them, and quite grateful. These are all old lady chickens and I hatched most of them for her many years ago. We are all extremely attached to these girls. I have hestd the same thing about mass culling.

I believe the truth is if they find one bird, even one carrying the low path AI, then all are culled. Low path AI may not even cause symptoms in your birds.

Mills Co. landfill says dead chickens could arrive in one week

UPDATED 9:10 AM CDT May 21, 2015 OMAHA, Neb. —Bob Glebs, the CEO of Loess Hills Regional Sanitary Landfill, says truckloads of chickens killed due to the bird flu could arrive at his site outside Malvern, Iowa, within a week. Glebs says his facility has the necessary approval, but a contractor with the United States Department of Agriculture has required a few extra precautionary measures. The facility will accept ten truckloads to begin the process, and each truck will be required to run through a secure sanitation station. The water will be collected and disposed of elsewhere. Glebs says this is a bio-hazard situation, so each worker involved will be wearing protective suits and gear. The USDA will bring in a crew to monitor the process. Before the birds arrive, Glebs needs to reinforce several roads and prepare a location on his property for the USDA to set up tents and trailers. Glebs says his landfill is the only site in Iowa currently ready to accept bird remains. The animals will arrive in sealed bio-bags and be buried securely. "It's a big deal and we want to do it right," said Glebs. "We have a plan." Glebs says by the time the birds arrive, his company will have spent more than $200,000 in preparations and meeting all the required guidelines. "We have decided we'd step up and help the state," said Glebs. "We knew there would be controversy. We were asked and we said yes, but we want to be sure that we're safe." Glebs says he is now working with county officials, and together, they may try to provide meals for the workers at his site next week. Before the birds arrive, Glebs says the truck-washing stations need to be in place, and they need to disperse 200 more truckloads of rock.
Maybe they should just do burials at sea.

Well, the origin is birds. It's how it's being spread they haven't figured out. Or why commercial operations seem so susceptible. I find it interesting that all these experts never mention genetics in any of their theories. Must be something corporations do not want to explore. The creation of their own monster.

Every time they are touched or moved there is another chance of contamination. Wonder why they don't incinerate on site.

This is all so crazy having so many unknown variables to this disease. I'm not sure why they aren't incinerating them either, seems to me like a good way to contain the spread.
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom