Healing after bumblefoot surgery?

LeezyBeezy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Lancaster PA
I did my first bumblefoot surgery on my sister's hen Wednesday. I had to cut through the top of her foot, as it was very swollen. The bottom had a tiny little prick mark from the original injury, but the majority of the swelling was on the top of her foot in the web of her toes. It felt like she had a marble in there!

I had to make a Y-shaped incision and the ball of gunk was about the size of a pea! It came out pretty much whole.It felt much softer and sort of "deflated" when I got the pus out. I put triple antibiotic ointment in and around it, dressed it, and let it be for 48 hours.

When I changed the dressing yesterday morning, it was fairly firm again, a little warm, but looked better. I'm just not sure if the pus is building up again. When should I expect the foot to get better and less swollen? Anyone had to re-open a foot like that? I'd hate to have to do it again- she hissed and struggled a bit, and I think it hurt.

I'm going to change the dressing again tomorrow, so I'm looking for some tips on what to look for- good or bad! thanks. Lee

(I'm bringing my camera too)

It was kind of weird, the skin is harder to cut than you think. And she fussed by kicking her foot too. I had to push hard up on the bottom of her foot to make the pus ball pop up some. It was nasty- BUT- very do-able, not much blood, and hopefully it will heal. I don't want to open the same wound again.

My vet told me not to open it up again. He wanted me to soak in epsom/betadine daily and keep dirt out of it (that's absolutely essential!). With a scabbed foot, you can also massage them with bag balm to keep the site soft (also the dr's orders).

I agree with just doing the epsom salt soak once a day or whenever you get ahold of her again. Going in a second time makes it worse on the hen. I did bumblefoot surgery on my hen on August 6th and just wrapped and did soaks on her. Bumblefoot does not go away easily. Just last week I finally was able to get 2 "cores" of staph out. I mainly contribute the soaking to my success of getting the cores out. She is still limping, but her pad is healed and she looks so much better. I only wrapped her in vetwrap for about 2 weeks after the surgery. She was a very good patient. Just be patient and do the soaks. The soaks really help heal foot. Not to mention, now is the time to spoil her during her soaks with some bread or grapes...good bonding time! Good Luck!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom