Healing bumblefoot status? pics-please help

Joditodi

Hatching
Jun 6, 2020
Hi All,
I have a very large rooster that I’ve been trying to get healed up from bumblefoot. Started with the soaking and cleaning, drainage and removal of “plug” and drainage residue. Also had him on a 10 day Baytril treatment. Now the wound is looking clean and healing from the inside, but his foot is still swollen and I’m worried about the redness. There’s no more drainage or smell, and the foot isn’t hot. He’s perky and eating, but still doesn’t want to put hardly any weight on it. I guess my main concern is that redness and swelling. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Attachments

• 88FC8572-7CF1-44F9-A7B3-B008ACA69117.jpeg
    88FC8572-7CF1-44F9-A7B3-B008ACA69117.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 40
  • B85915B0-70D7-4A8C-B27D-1FDF3C3E4C6E.jpeg
    B85915B0-70D7-4A8C-B27D-1FDF3C3E4C6E.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi All,
I have a very large rooster that I’ve been trying to get healed up from bumblefoot. Started with the soaking and cleaning, drainage and removal of “plug” and drainage residue. Also had him on a 10 day Baytril treatment. Now the wound is looking clean and healing from the inside, but his foot is still swollen and I’m worried about the redness. There’s no more drainage or smell, and the foot isn’t hot. He’s perky and eating, but still doesn’t want to put hardly any weight on it. I guess my main concern is that redness and swelling. Please take a look and tell me what you think.
It looks like you need to keep going with treatment.
At this point I think I'd try isolating him in a crate in the coop with clean bedding and apply a liberal amount of drawing salve on a gauze and wrapping the foot to keep it in place. Check that you don't have it too tight.
You might also consider investing in Tricide Neo and doing daily soaks with that followed by the drawing salve.

Ok, will keep on keeping on. I do have him isolated in a small pen with clean shavings and wrap the foot after applying sugardine in and around the wound. Using a sterile pad on the bottom of the foot (with more sugardine), some medical tape to hold it on, and an overall covering of vetwrap (not too tight). I’ve been extremely careful not to get the bandages too tight because I know how easy that is to do with vetwrap. I’ll definitely look into the Tricide and drawing salve-thanks!
I worked for an avian vet at one time (admin, not vet tech) who swore by sugardine for wounds. Found this article on a quick search, which may be helpful for anyone following this thread:
“...sugardine a mixture of iodine and sugar has proved to be more effective. The American Farriers Journal Special Management Report #1…Using Sugar To Treat Those Nasty Wounds stated the following. “One study was done over a 5-year period in which 605 human patients were treated exclusively with sugardine. In nearly all cases, these patients (whose injuries included ulcers, cat scratches and gunshot wounds) healed more rapidly with sugardine than any alternative method of treatment”. This is a link to information on the study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7302631

Back
Top Bottom