Healing Frostbite? *please help soon*

cluckcluckgirl

Queen of the Coop
11 Years
Jun 16, 2012
Tending to my chickens
My rooster got frostbite from some very cold weather that was around a little while ago. The tips of his toes are black and not looking so healthy. He is eating, drinking, and behaving just as he usually does, except he limps. Is there anything I can do to possibly help him heal?

Most people will put antibiotic ointment such as Neopsorin on frostbite, and will use vaseline on combs and wattles to prevent it. Are there open bowls of water that he can get his feet into? If it is that cold any open water puddles or water bowls should be removed or set up high.

I have read that using pain-killing ointments is lethal to chickens, but just regular Neosporin is fine? He doesn't have any place that his feet could get wet, we were just very cold a while ago. I will put some Neosporin on him in the morning. Thank you.
smile.png

Pain killing medicines ending in -caine are usually not good for poultry, but plain Neosporin is fine. Make sure you have plenty of overhead ventilation in the coop even in low temperatures to remove the moisture in the air. Moisture, not the cold temperatures will cause frostbite. Also you might want to use 2x4's with the wide side up for roosts, since it provides more warmth on the roost at night. Deep litter helps too.

Back
Top Bottom