Healing Frostbite? *please help soon*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluckgirl, Dec 28, 2013.

1. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    My rooster got frostbite from some very cold weather that was around a little while ago. The tips of his toes are black and not looking so healthy. He is eating, drinking, and behaving just as he usually does, except he limps. Is there anything I can do to possibly help him heal?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most people will put antibiotic ointment such as Neopsorin on frostbite, and will use vaseline on combs and wattles to prevent it. Are there open bowls of water that he can get his feet into? If it is that cold any open water puddles or water bowls should be removed or set up high.

3. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    I have read that using pain-killing ointments is lethal to chickens, but just regular Neosporin is fine? He doesn't have any place that his feet could get wet, we were just very cold a while ago. I will put some Neosporin on him in the morning. Thank you.[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pain killing medicines ending in -caine are usually not good for poultry, but plain Neosporin is fine. Make sure you have plenty of overhead ventilation in the coop even in low temperatures to remove the moisture in the air. Moisture, not the cold temperatures will cause frostbite. Also you might want to use 2x4's with the wide side up for roosts, since it provides more warmth on the roost at night. Deep litter helps too.

5. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Thank you. I will try do get all that accomplished (that hasn't yet) over the next couple days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by