Healing Hen Sleeps a LOT. Is this normal?

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
My 6yo EE hen, Thirteen, got attacked by a dog on Tuesday evening. Her wounds looked really scary, so I treated her as best I could with what I had to work with (betadine and blukote) and tracked down an avian vet who saw her on Wednesday afternoon.

Luckily, there is no damage to her internal organs and her wounds (while deep, extensive and scary looking) are superficial. She's on an oral antibiotic (yeah- force feeding a chicken oral meds is SUPER fun, lemme tell ya!), and her wounds get cleaned and flushed with clorhexadine and then redressed with an antibiotic salve twice a day. I'm keeping her in a hospital crate in my pantry on a puppy pad that I change when it gets dirty.

She has NO interest in her pellets, but will eat the heck out of some live mealworms, yogurt, rice, string cheese and scratch grains if offered. I haven't seen her drinking much since Wednesday, but her poop looks normal (so I'm trying not to worry too much about that right now). When she's awake, she acts normally. She comes out of her crate to see us, she explores the kitchen, pecks at whatever she finds on the floor, preens her feathers, and clearly enjoys having a small piece of a flock-block all to herself.

But she's only really awake first thing in the morning when we get up, for an hour or so in the afternoon, and then for 30mins or so after we get done with her bath & meds at night. She's not really lethargic- she's responsive to stimulus, and if I open the pantry door and speak to her, she'll at least open her eyes and look at me (if she doesn't get up, which she usually does- especially if I have something yummy for her).

I know from personal experience that a big part of healing from a serious injury is getting a LOT of sleep, and I imagine it's no different for other species; but this is my first experience with a seriously injured chicken. Given that the rest of her behavior is more or less normal, is her sleeping all the time normal for a chicken recovering from such a traumatic injury?

Sleeping could be a normal process of healing since she is getting up and interacting with you at times during the day. Preening and enjoying a treat sounds promising too.

She may be sore and if she is not eating/drinking like she should, may be a bit dehydrated and weak. Overall, just not feeling well - similar to how we may feel.

The not drinking is a bit concerning - try to encourage her to stay hydrated. If you have them offer some poultry vitamins in her water. She may accept something like scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, sardines or some beef liver as well - these will give her some extra protein and hopefully boost her a bit.

Depending on the severity and where the wounds are located, she may also benefit from being placed outside near the flock for a few hours each day - you could place her in a wire dog kennel so she is "contained" and would stay relatively clean. Sometimes some sunshine and seeing other chickens can be a motivator.

I hope she recovers soon, please keep us posted.

I agree with everything posted by Wyorp Rock, just wanted to add that some antibiotics can make them kind of 'down' and sleepy also. So may be a contributing factor and she may perk up some once that treatment is finished. I'd add some probiotics to the water also and that will help get her gut back in balance after the antibiotics. Hope she recovers from her injuries.

Thanks for responding!

She was much more... feisty(?) than usual this morning when my husband and I (yeah, it takes 2 of us, LOL!) gave her her meds. Maybe all the extra sleep really is just part of her healing? She still hadn't touched her water when I let her out this morning, but she had eaten most of her yogurt and rice. So, while I had her captive, wrapped in a towel on my lap, I also dribbled water on her beak to get her to drink. She took about 10cc's of water, on top of the 3cc's of her liquid antibiotic.

I may just need to keep doing that until she does it on her own.

She has definitely gotten stronger since Tuesday night, so we must be doing something right?

Her wounds are pretty extensive. Most of the skin on the right side of her back is gone down to the cartilage and she has a 2x2cm deep gash/puncture wound between her spine and right wing. On her underside, she is torn through the fat and down to the muscle, from the centerline of her breastbone all the way to her right wing. Honestly, she's lucky she still HAS a right wing! I know they're remarkably tough critters, but I continue to be amazed that she has survived this attack every time I tend to her wounds.

That said, I can't let her outside until her wounds close because they would be a magnet for flies this time of year. She seems to tolerate being inside with us for now, tho. As I mentioned before, when she's not sleeping or pecking at her food, she's out visiting us and exploring the kitchen for scraps on the floor that the cats missed.

I agree with Wyorp Rock and others. When I give a chicken medicine orally, I hold them in one arm, take the same hand and pull down on the wattles, place a couple of drops into the mouth, then release the wattles for them to swallow. The repeat. Do not give more than a few drops at a time. They will usually swallow a small or cut pill placed in the back of the throat. I would stop the string cheese and rice, and make a small bowl of chicken pellets mixed with water to become like oatmeal. Plus give the chopped egg or tuna for protein. Vetericyn Spray, though pricey, is excellent for wound care. Plain triple antibiotic ointment is good for healing. There is a horse ointment called SWAT that is also good for flies when she goes outside. Good luck.

I'm glad to hear she is more perky today.

It sounds like her injuries are extensive, which will take time and patience. It sounds like you are doing good.

I do agree with @Eggcessive cutting out the string cheese and rice would be a good idea - the focus should be on nutrition as well as healing. Extra protein is good. For a "treat" you could hang a stem of Kale or small piece of something like Broccoli for her to pick at - dark green veggies are packed with vitamins and minerals which will be more beneficial than rice or cheese:)

Please keep us posted on her progress.

Back
Top Bottom