health ? cancer treatment and being around chickens

cary 1973

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Henderson Nevada aka Las Vegas
so my mother was officaly dx with breast cancer as of 3pm today she will being having chemo and full mastecomy my ? she loves to feed teh chickens and she goes out in back yard (i clean poop up and end of each day but with 4 chickens it can get messy through out the day) trying to get ducks in row now anyone go through this with there chickens shold I be looking for another home for them for the next few months do they pose a health risk I know i need to clean the poo up more then once a day now but i water down into the grass should I start picking it up and trhowing it away. do I just need to keep mom out of back yard and away from the chickens. so many ?

I would have her, ask her Doctor(s), especially the one doing the Prescriptions, how they will affect the immune System.

My wife, Beth, has been dealing with BC for 10 years now; currently late stage 4. She still spends time every day or two out with the chickens for about 30 minutes each time. Her doctor encourages it, says it's therapy and gets her out of the house and moving around. We have seen no ill effects from her being around the chickens. I'm pretty sure your Mom will be fine with them.

Tell her to hang in there! Of course, while she is healing from the masectomy, she will need to keep the wound site/s clean, so she shouldn't be around feces of any type if possible. Chemo therapies tend to lower the patient's abiity to fight off infections to some extent (varies from person to person, therapy to therapy) so that will need to be taken into account. Having the chickens will probably be very helpful, in that it will give her a reason to get out and stay active, which helps with recovery. All my best to you and her as she begins this journey.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any other assistance.

When my sister in Law was pregnant for first time her first OBGYN did not like cats. He told her since she was she had to get rid of there cat (who my brother had for 13 years is deaf and blind in one eye). He did not tell her she needed to stay away from cat box and caution her about what the issue is with cats (cant remember what its called) He told her she had to remove the cat from her home no if and or buts. She ended up seeing a new OB/GYN (for multiple reasons first Dr. was a not a nice word) the new Dr. told her about the cat box and explained all to her about the issues with cats and all was fine.

This is the reason I brought my question to this forum as I live in Las Vegas Nevada and most people look at me crazy when they find out we have chickens. One of my moms friends while we were having breakfast found out we got chickens for there eggs and said that was just gross (mind you she was eating a 3 egg omelet at the time) So her Dr. more and likely not familiar with chickens say as much as a country or farming community Dr. would be or may think the same way my mothers friends does and say get rid of them just because.

x 2 I would talk to her doctor. With my moms chemo and my gma's liver transplant they were both told not be around any indoor birds but that does not necessarily include chickens. Be sure to ask why not just if so you can make your own choices.

My wife, Beth, has been dealing with BC for 10 years now; currently late stage 4. She still spends time every day or two out with the chickens for about 30 minutes each time. Her doctor encourages it, says it's therapy and gets her out of the house and moving around. We have seen no ill effects from her being around the chickens. I'm pretty sure your Mom will be fine with them.

Tell her to hang in there! Of course, while she is healing from the masectomy, she will need to keep the wound site/s clean, so she shouldn't be around feces of any type if possible. Chemo therapies tend to lower the patient's abiity to fight off infections to some extent (varies from person to person, therapy to therapy) so that will need to be taken into account. Having the chickens will probably be very helpful, in that it will give her a reason to get out and stay active, which helps with recovery. All my best to you and her as she begins this journey.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any other assistance.
thank you so much and I will keep you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers too.

No problem.

Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote for work on our website regarding Breast Cancer awareness. I hope it may be of some use to you and you family.

During Beth's most recent hospital stay, which included the Emergency room, the Critical Care unit, the Cardio-vascular unit, and the Cancer Unit of Penrose-St Francis Hospital in Colorado Springs, Beth and I came up with and posted several helpful tips on Facebook for those who may come in contact with and associate with cancer patients and survivors. I would like to share some of them with you in hopes that others may find them useful:

• Just because they haven’t lost their hair doesn’t mean that they aren’t receiving treatment.
Many treatments don’t make the patient’s hair fall out. When we assume that all is well, just because the outward appearance doesn’t scream CANCER, sometimes the patient can feel that no one cares. People who are going through treatments or living with this disease need care and understanding, even though it may not look like they are having problems.

• Don’t be offended if they don’t always seem to be paying attention
Cancer patients are frequently on some pretty heavy drugs. These drugs can do many things to a person, from making them sick, giving them headaches, or affecting their memory or judgment. You may walk up to them and start talking and them realize that they may not even know you for a minute or two. Be patient with them and don’t be judgmental.

• Don’t be offended if they seem grumpy
Again, you may not be aware of what they are going through. They may be experiencing pain or discomfort due to their treatment or the cancer itself, or may be dealing with an uncertain future. Worry and uncertainty are now part of their every-day existence. They are dealing with other things which in reality, may be of greater importance that what it others may be aware of.

• Not all cancers are the same.
Each cancer is different, and each person can react differently to their specific type and to whatever treatment their doctors may prescribe. Some people may be willing to look in to non-traditional treatments, some may not. Do not force your opinion of treatment options. Usually, the patient has a competent doctor or caregiver that usually has a little more experience in this that we do. Just because something worked for your sister’s friend’s cousin doesn’t mean it will work in everybody. Treatments can vary greatly depending on the person and their situation.

• Don’t ignore it or them: Know your enemy - Cancer
People frequently misunderstand cancer and what is does to the person and their families. Sometimes people choose to ignore the situation, and sometimes in an effort to deal with it they ignore the person and avoid them. Each cancer patient and survivor is different, but in our experience it makes a difference when people understand the situation. Know your enemy. The enemy is cancer. You don’t have to avoid the topic unless the patient wants it that way, but when we talk about it with them, without trivializing the issue, it become more real and then becomes something we can all face, and hopefully someday beat. Do some reading from good sources, take the time to get to know a little of what the person is dealing with.

• Don’t just ask how things are….
We have a very good support system, both from church, our friends, and our small community. Many of these people are well meaning, but sometimes come up to the patient, in this case my wife Beth, and say something to the effect of, “How are you?”. Mind you, Beth will sometimes look like death warmed over when this occurs. Once she answered, “Really? I have cancer and I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck! Isn’t it obvious?” It had been a bad day J. Sometimes it’s better to take a couple of seconds and be observant. Don’t always ask how the person is. Ask them how their day is going, or how they are feeling right now. Use some good judgment and empathy.

• Give help sincerely and wisely
We are frequently asked if there is anything someone can do for us. Generally, they will be thanked, and told all is good. However, sometimes it may be better if you ask the person if you can do something specific for them. Don’t make the patient or the patient’s family come up with a good deed for you to do, you may not like what they ask of you. Don’t ask or offer to give help or assistance unless you really mean it. We know that the vast majority of people we come in contact with are just trying to do the right thing, and mean well, but at times these offers can seem insincere. In the last month we have had friends just show up at the door with Beth’s favorite treat, or ready to come and read to her or just spend time with her. This shows that the person really cares.

I’m sure I forgot some of the tips, but you get the idea. Be supportive and positive. Don’t be condescending. Get to know the person or persons involved and show you care.
Hopefully things will work out for Beth for a while longer. Cancer isn’t always a pleasant journey, but depending on your outlook, it can be an opportunity for personal growth, and a means to benefit and inspire others.

Last edited:
I would have her, ask her Doctor(s), especially the one doing the Prescriptions, how they will affect the immune System.

Good advice. While there may or may not be an MD or 2 on this forum I think human health questions would be better directed elsewhere.

Good advice. While there may or may not be an MD or 2 on this forum I think human health questions would be better directed elsewhere.

Definately. Have her talk to her doctor. ask specific questions. That goes for everything.

My comments were based on our experiences, and her oncologist's comments. He is also a PHD in oncological research.

Back
Top Bottom