lavendermarie

Songster
May 12, 2022
I had a chick who hatched today (on day 24 of incubation) with a little help. I thought all the eggs were goners, but kept them in the incubator just in case. But this morning I noticed a pip in one of the eggs! After a few hours it had pretty much fully zipped around and was trying to finally break out of the egg. But her head was stuck pretty bad to the membrane. After we freed her head, she hatched out of the bottom on her own. And of course, the poor thing is pretty exhausted. But she’s been acting a little odd so I want to ask around to see if it’s anything I should be concerned about.

One: She’s breathing a little heavy. Nothing too obvious unless you’re holding her and can feel it. And I can’t remember for the life of me what normal breathing is for a newborn chick.

Two: I dipped her beak in some water as she was panting for just a few seconds. After I did that I could see the water in her mouth just kinda sitting there because she was holding her beak open. Then it started to look like she was panting again, but I’m pretty sure she was having trouble swallowing. After a minute or so she managed to get it down.

She’s not lethargic or anything, she seems pretty alert when I’m carrying her and she’s kinda flopping around just like any newborn chick does, but she’s beginning to be able to walk a bit better and she’s becoming stronger. She’s just sleeping a lot because she’s tired. I just want to know if anything she’s been doing is something to be concerned about, and what I can do to help her and increase her odds of survival. This is my first assisted hatch and only my second time hatching eggs in an incubator. Any advice or replies are appreciated!

(One last note, she keeps pooping this green slimy stuff and the last time she did it, it was liquid-ey. I’ve had chicks do this before of course but is it normal for her to have done this about four times since she hatched? She hatched at around 1:45-2:00 pm and it’s currently 6:26 pm.

i would worry about that
i would keep an eye on it but not a huge deal
(One last note, she keeps pooping this green slimy stuff and the last time she did it, it was liquid-ey. I’ve had chicks do this before of course but is it normal for her to have done this about four times since she hatched? She hatched at around 1:45-2:00 pm and it’s currently 6:26 pm.
thats all fine for all chicks

I had a chick who hatched today (on day 24 of incubation) with a little help. I thought all the eggs were goners, but kept them in the incubator just in case. But this morning I noticed a pip in one of the eggs! After a few hours it had pretty much fully zipped around and was trying to finally break out of the egg. But her head was stuck pretty bad to the membrane. After we freed her head, she hatched out of the bottom on her own. And of course, the poor thing is pretty exhausted. But she’s been acting a little odd so I want to ask around to see if it’s anything I should be concerned about.

One: She’s breathing a little heavy. Nothing too obvious unless you’re holding her and can feel it. And I can’t remember for the life of me what normal breathing is for a newborn chick.

Two: I dipped her beak in some water as she was panting for just a few seconds. After I did that I could see the water in her mouth just kinda sitting there because she was holding her beak open. Then it started to look like she was panting again, but I’m pretty sure she was having trouble swallowing. After a minute or so she managed to get it down.

She’s not lethargic or anything, she seems pretty alert when I’m carrying her and she’s kinda flopping around just like any newborn chick does, but she’s beginning to be able to walk a bit better and she’s becoming stronger. She’s just sleeping a lot because she’s tired. I just want to know if anything she’s been doing is something to be concerned about, and what I can do to help her and increase her odds of survival. This is my first assisted hatch and only my second time hatching eggs in an incubator. Any advice or replies are appreciated!

We had one like that. Mom left this one behind. I didn't know she did that until later that night I saw this egg had pipped, was now ice cold and half crushed from chickens walking on it. I put his egg in the incubator. It took him two days to hatch, a bit assisted on the second day to get cracked pieces off of him. On the 4th day after the rescue, I gave him to his mom. She accepted him, only to reject him about a month later. He's had a rough life. We named him Lazarus. During the polar vortex, he wasn't allowed to cuddle with them, and he was alone and shivering. We brought him in. That's him in my avatar pic.

Attachments

• Lazarus came in for the night.jpg
    Lazarus came in for the night.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom