Healthy Chicken Weights?

Most BSLs are, but some might be mixed with new hampshire red instead of rhode island red. Mother is always are barred rock. Both parent breeds are large, so BSLs can get pretty big.
oh, OH, so her and Burt are pretty much the same “breed”? The male black sex-link gets the barring while the females are black with some red? neat, no idea why that didn’t click sooner

Yup! If Burt's mother was a barred rock and dad was a RIR, he is exactly like other BSLs.
that I can only guess is the case because he was bought as a BR and he is not 100% one. He has the hen barring ( looks darker rather than lighter ) and has orange feathers with completely different patterns scattered here and there on him.
EC3017A6-4821-4001-9814-5576CD52D7BA.jpeg
CE957A0D-2717-4F5B-9FAA-455B0398C8F6.jpeg

Attachments

• 72725F20-3172-43AA-9070-FFF04D41D2AB.jpeg
    72725F20-3172-43AA-9070-FFF04D41D2AB.jpeg
    761.6 KB · Views: 1
Have never heard of folks weighing to asses health,
only for monitoring a sick birds weight gain and/or for dosing meds,
would probably want a more accurate scale then a human/bathroom scale tho.

Body condition can be generally assessed by the muscle around keel bone,
even then don't jump to any drastic conclusions.
1602766530188.png

Have never heard of folks weighing to asses health,
only for monitoring a sick birds weight gain and/or for dosing meds,
would probably want a more accurate scale then a human/bathroom scale tho.

Body condition can be generally assessed by the muscle around keel bone,
even then don't jump to any drastic conclusions.
View attachment 2374007
it was mostly out of curiosity rather than an indication of their health. i also wanted to see if they were around what they should be with the idea that not all are going to fit within the average. as for the bathroom scale, i know it wasn’t going to be completely accurate but since this was just for curiosity’s sake, im not too concerned about the absolutes.

Back
Top Bottom