Healthy Duck having trouble walking Whats wrong?!?

bufforp89

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Chenango Forks NY
One of my campbells is having a funny leg prob. She will walk a few steps but then will set down with her legs splayed out behind her. I also have noticed that when she takes a step she pulls her leg up really high with her foot closed really tight. This is happening with both feet.I have checked both of her feet and there is no sign of any cuts or infection or bumblefoot of anything out of the ordinary. I feel like its more her legs than her feet. Sometimes she will drag herself around with her wings. She is eating and drinking normally and I have been putting her in the kiddy pool (she can get out easily) and she seems to swim fine too. She dosnt apperar to be distressed and still manages to get around. This has been happening for two days. Anyone know whats up with her? Should I maybe cage her so she isnt walking as much?

We purchased some Buff ducks from a breeder once and brought them home and the next day both drakes were down on their legs and pulled themselves along with their wings. We found Holderreads book and went straight to CVS and brought home a bottle of Brewers Yeast, crushed the pills and mixed it into the duck feed. The ducks were Niacin-deficent and needed it for a few days. We crushed the pills (about 10 at a time) and mixed it with the feed. They quickly recovered and went on to breed some nice babies. Bigger bodied birds seem to be affected more than smaller ones but it normally works the same when they have weak legs. provided they've not broken or strained their legs due to another injury.

HI, I know your post is several years old but I have a cayuga duck who is about 9 months old and is suddenly having a difficulty walking. She lifts her legs high and backwards and they shake a little bit. Is similar to what you duck was experiencing. I too her to the vet but the vet has no idea what is wrong In need of help. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom