Healthy feed for new flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Southgrandma, May 18, 2019.

1. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I'm on day 2... So far my chicks are digging it, the older girls eat it but lose interest and go search for bugs. Basically their usual :confused: My OE has laid 2 days in a row, which isn't her usual, she's an every other day type of layer. I honestly don't think it smells, I have a very sensitive smell and I've yet to nice much besides a faint smell when my head is right on top of the bucket. I'd have to put my whole head in to even notice it a lot. I'm honestly really liking it so far!

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  2. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    And I add less water too. I add a cup maybe two every time I put more feed in after I give about 7 cups out... I've pulled 14 cups out of a bucket I only put 12 cups of dry feed in :eek: it's amazing

chrissynemetz likes this.
  3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Mine too! I've noticed an increase interest in breakfast but not necessarily eating larger amounts. I also don't think it smells. Maybe a little like sourdough or yeast bread dough?:confused: Either way, it's not pungent or unpleasant.

chrissynemetz and chkva like this.
  4. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Is there a yeast that you can add to the first batch to get things started in the right direction? I would be nervous about something toxic growing in there.

I remember last year sometime, someone posted that they wiped out a flock of 60ish ducklings when their fermented feed became toxic. Does anybody remember the particulars of that post? I remember the ducklings were Pekin meat ducks.

5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Yes, some people add live cultures via lactobacillus and similar.

Personally, as long as you're feeding your supply out weekly, I wouldn't worry too much about illness. Spoiled or molded seed will smell rancid and funky. As an extra precaution you could start a second container and swap out jars/buckets, washing each one every few days but not having a break in your feed production.

Truthfully though, grains and alfalfa ferment on their own very quickly.

6. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Found it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-ducklings-dying-suddenly.1224194/page-3

"Local vet who deals with poultry and got an appointment for a necropsy this morning.

He opened up three or four ducklings and found nothing out of the ordinary. They had clearly eaten recently, their lungs were clean, and there was no hemorrhaging. Based on the symptoms and his findings, his conclusion (which couldn't be definite without further testing) was botulism poisoning. His best guess was an ingredient in the feed mix that had been contaminated with botulism spores and that, upon being wetted, eventually produced the toxin that killed the ducklings."

I want to try Fermenting, but the above scares me.

chrissynemetz likes this.
  7. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Well, I see the concern but after reading the entire post it sounds like the grain was a custom mix? And it said the food had set out for three days, as well.

I think as long as you start with a reputable feed and clean out what they don't eat you'd be fine. It's the exposure to oxygen over time that allows the growth of bacteria/mold.

I saw a person on that thread had been feeding ducks FF for six years without issue and included a link about her procedure that might help you make a more informed choice!

8. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    So the fermented feed caused botulism while it was fermented in bucket for 3 days or they left the food sitting in bowl exposed to elements for 3 days?

9. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    It sounds like it was left out for three days at a time.

chkva likes this.
  10. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    It honestly sounds like that particular batch of grain was tainted, not the process itself necessarily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: