Healthy feed for new flock

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Southgrandma, May 18, 2019.

1. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    It doesn't sound like they were fermenting it either... It was a confusing thread to me and reading through all the comments is killing my eyes. I put ACV in mine and from what I've heard that can decrease the risk of bad bacteria.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  2. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Right, because simply wetting feed is not the same as fermentation occurring. I do a simple lacto-ferment but I swap out my containers, washing between batches and throwing away the uneaten bits.

3. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    I heard if you use juice from old batch it makes the process faster... I may be wrong.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  4. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You are taking some risk in doing this, and botulism poisoning can occur. I'm not convinced that it's all worth the effort anyway, and feed crumble right out of the bag, dry. It's easier and works fine, no muss, no fuss.
    Mary

casportpony likes this.
  5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I read that too and plan on setting my liquid aside between washes. I'm more concerned with the residue that sits along the inside of the container, exposed to air, etc. I may get a few weeks in and ditch washing the containers altogether but for now I'm just being overly cautious.

chkva likes this.
  6. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    Farm and Fleet has good food.

7. flutemomc

flutemomc Chirping

May 21, 2016
    We use Scratch and Peck! it is on the pricier side but the girls LOVE it and we have never had any laying problems or bad molts!

EBertram likes this.
  8. EBertram

EBertram Chirping

Jun 1, 2018
    We also use scratch and peck. My aunt who has had chickens for years always comments on how pretty my chickens are. If azure standard has a drop off near you, you can get a 40 lb bag for less than what you pay for a 25 lb bag on the scratch and peck website.

HopeSprings likes this.
  9. Fatherdowling

Fatherdowling Chirping

Mar 27, 2019
    Glide, OR
    Hi, I'm a first time chicken daddy, and I highly recommend "Scratch and peck grower feed". It's entirely organic, no corn or soy, and the birds absolutely love it. The company recommends it for chickens 8 - 20 weeks old. It's a bit pricey, but in my humble opinion well worth the higher price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: