Healthy hen soft egg

pclark17

Songster
5 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Western Kentucky
I have a near 2 year old RIR in a group of four hens (2 RIR, a BR, and a GLW) all of the same age. For a few weeks now I have noticed that there is an occasional egg from her that has a weak shell but yolk and membrane inside are fine. Yesterday she laid a completely soft shell egg with a regular yolk on the inside. She has never laid misshapen eggs or been sick in any capacity. She is eating normally, acting normal, and her poo is regular. The only thing I have wondered is that she has never gone through a molt, the only hen I have that has had a full molt is our Barred Rock. Could this be affecting her in any way? They have easy access to oyster shells, I provide regular clean water and sometimes water with ACV mixed in. Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I believe soft shelled eggs usually can occur in older chicken especially commercial layers such as sexlinks. Rhode island reds happen to be great layers too.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
I'd skip the ACV until this is resolved, it can impede calcium uptake.
Not sure if lack of molt is a variable, it can be hard to tell if a bird molts, they don't always go 'naked'.
Did use supplemental lighting over the winter?
Did she lay over the winter?

Back
Top Bottom