Heard the egg song today loud and clear!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I was resting on the couch due to a horrid chest cold. All of a sudden I hear my chick sing the beautiful egg song! I never in my life would imagine hearing the chickens inside my house from outside.

I grabbed the camera and called for my kids to come witness our first egg. We headed out to the coop all in excitement! I opened the door to the coop and was shocked to see my 20 week old SS singing the song on top of the nest boxes where I have a bowl if oyster shell for them. She is such a tease, there was NO egg.[​IMG].

I thought my 22 week old RIR would be the first to sing the egg song loud and clear, not the SS. It's a very good thing chickens are allowed because that was very loud! I'm sure a few of the neighbors heard her song too.

It won't be long now before we get our first egg! My SS and RIR are both squatting.

2. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    LOL It is loud! When we first got chickens years ago my kids thought something was trying to eat them, some times they sound like they are dying I have a new batch of hens now and we are waiting eggs, they are only 17 weeks old. Hope you get your eggs soon.

3. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    I agree. It's LOUD. My first one started laying last week, and I was never able to catch her in the act so I didn't know who it was. So earlier this week, I went out every 30 minutes in the hopes of catching her, and I also opened the back window of the house in the "off chance" I might hear something. Boy, did I ever hear something. ALL of them were squawking. Apparently the layer started up and it created this mass chorus. So I went out there, saw my Ophelia heading into the coop, and sat down with my video camera to make a movie. It was GREAT! and loud. very, very loud. Not at the point when the egg came out though. That was just a small noise. Leading up to it was crazy loud.
    Keep listening... it sounds like yours might be practicing!!! It's going to be soon!

4. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I don't know what the egg song is..[​IMG]

5. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I only have one that sings. A production Red. Before we processed our rooster, he would join in with her in full force like a car alarm. LOL

But I will say this, check back later today. My PR I mentioned will sing twice a day before she lays. After her second round of singing I know she has laid.

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I heard the song again a second time. I'm assuming it was Maple my SS again. I hurried out to the coop and still no egg, but she was inside one of the nest boxes when I checked her the second time. My 15 week old EE was with her in the nest the second time too.

The egg song is the buk, buk, buk, buk, buk, BAWK, buk, buk, buk, buk, buk, BAWK that is super loud.[​IMG]

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Mine started laying a week ago, the song was so loud I thought someone was killing my girl! Out I ran, omg omg hope I'm in time! No egg no preditor then a second time, then a third time then an egg . Woo hoo ! She has laid every day but 2 small beautiful perfect eggs, !

8. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    My SS is so loud the neighbors know when to ask for eggs!!

Can you say Drama Queen! [​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I don't know how people hide their hens were the city ordinance does not allow chickens.[​IMG] I never imagined the girls being that loud. It's a great sound and music to my ears.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by