Hearing loud peeps but no pip

Chickenluv456

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
One of my eggs (a bantam golden sebright) on day 20 is peeping pretty loud and shaking a lot, but there is no pip, is this normal? Plus how long does it take for a chick to hatch once it starts peeping and shaking? This is my first time, sorry :/ any help would be amazing!!
jumpy.gif

yes it's normal. As far as how long that all depends on chicks. I have had some from peep to hatch only take hour and less then I have some that have taken nearly 2 days.

One of my eggs (a bantam golden sebright) on day 20 is peeping pretty loud and shaking a lot, but there is no pip, is this normal? Plus how long does it take for a chick to hatch once it starts peeping and shaking? This is my first time, sorry :/ any help would be amazing!!
jumpy.gif
the first time is so exciting! what am I saying im into the hundreds on hatches and I still get excited. so many things can affect a hatch, but my sebrites are always in the latest of my bantams (typically day 21) in most cases they take about 4-6 hours to hatch but ive seen them take 24 hours. resist the urge to help them, you typically do more damage than good. while they are hatching leave that incubator closed, opening it causes a drastic loss of humidity and can dry out the hatch sticking the chick in the shell.

if the bird never pip's out it may be missing its egg tooth or just to weak to do so. this is probably not your fault so don't get discouraged. if its missing its egg tooth and you were to help it out, its offspring runs a risk of the same problem. so again, do not try to help it out.

im just an email away if you need me.

best of luck,
brian

Thank You! It's starting to hatch!
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif
i t hard to see but this is the pip! I'll try to post another picture later!

the first time is so exciting! what am I saying im into the hundreds on hatches and I still get excited. so many things can affect a hatch, but my sebrites are always in the latest of my bantams (typically day 21) in most cases they take about 4-6 hours to hatch but ive seen them take 24 hours. resist the urge to help them, you typically do more damage than good. while they are hatching leave that incubator closed, opening it causes a drastic loss of humidity and can dry out the hatch sticking the chick in the shell.

if the bird never pip's out it may be missing its egg tooth or just to weak to do so. this is probably not your fault so don't get discouraged. if its missing its egg tooth and you were to help it out, its offspring runs a risk of the same problem. so again, do not try to help it out.

im just an email away if you need me.

best of luck,
brian
I'm having a problem, the chick has pecked the shell right through the membrane and is now trying to eat the membrane is this a problem?

It's not a problem to peck at the membrane. It is just working it's way out.

Back
Top Bottom