Heartbroken after losing 75+ birds, 2 turkeys, & 10 ducks.

Pics

Stajemahal

Songster
Jul 26, 2017
My day wasn't started off on the right nor the left foot, more like on my knees.

I woke to finding my coop slaughtered. Just completely slaughtered.
A handful of my birds were still alive, around 5 or 6, I'd say.
It was a massacre. The gore didn't bother me. The overwhelming feeling that
I had let my poultry down made me vomit.
I'm looking for some predator proofing ideas.
I'm already going to be laying traps.

I have images... but they are not for the weak of heart.

If you could give us some more details.
It sounds like it happened overnite? Where are you located as this will also give us an idea of the preditors in your area.
If it was outside during the day, i would also agree, dogs are likely as they kill volumes in a short amount of time. Chickens are defenseless, against most everything.
I am so sorry for your loss.

The predator was a coyote from my experience.
When we first moved to our farm, we had some coon attacks that we quickly dealt with.
Again, with traps. Then a fox decided to come snooping around, found a hole and off went Bob & Marley, my Khakis. The fox did take it back to wherever it had come from, the bits of the ducks were found about an acre out. This was before I had acquired more ducks, turkeys & chickens.

Between you & me, I told my fiance` the run needed hardware cloth.
We had the rail-road ties buried already but they found their way in the run through
a piece of chicken cloth. Just wedged it up and went underneath.
He is in the dog house, the fiance`, not the coyote.

The coyote then tore tarmac (I think that's what they call it?) & boards to get into the coop. Waters knocked over everywhere, nesting boxes knocked down and so many pieces of my beautiful birds.
The devastation in my coop was something I have never seen and can live the rest of my life without ever witnessing it again.

Hope you kill the culprit.

I've never seen coyotes go on a killing spree. Around here, they usually grab their dinner and split before they get caught, only to come back in the following days/nights for more free food. Sure sounds like some dogs by the way they killed everything.

Well these coyotes around here have been running in packs....
If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. I'm just assuming because
I've never seen a rural dog in my area. There are two down the street but
they have been raised around poultry & other farm animals.

Back
Top Bottom