Heartbroken my dog just killed my chickens

Lady Lavendar

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Houston
I just lost one of my pairs of chickens about 10 minutes ago. My rooster "Frick" and hen "Cassie" were very sweet. I'm so heartbroken. I heard some of my dogs barking in the front yard and after putting them back in the back yard, I went to check on the chickens. My daschund was in their pen and had just killed them.
I had taken photos of them before the sunset so I could send them to this group in the hopes that someone could tell me what kind they were. They had finally come to trust us and would come running up to the gate when we came out hoping we had treats for them.
Now, I have to tell my husband. This is already a bad day and I haven't even been to bed yet.

Katrina

hugs.gif
oh darling I am so so sorry
hugs.gif

Oh, that is terrible. How did he get into the pen, and can he get back in there? Being so small, he will be able to wiggle though small areas!! It's bad enough when a strange dog gets in your animals and wrecks havoc, but when its one you love . . .
hit.gif
:hit

I don't blame my daschund. Our German shepherd puppy is VERY smart. He lifted the latch on the gate to the back yard where we keep our dogs (our yard is divided into three sections) and let everyone out. I never heard a thing (chickens are in the side yard a half acre away from the house) until my Podengo started barking in the front yard. I was angry that it happened but it was my fault. We just bought a pot bellied piglet on Saturday and I was spending time with her instead of doing what I should have which is to put the chickens in the coop and lock them up for the night. I won't make that mistake again. The walls and ceiling of my pens are secure but the door has a four inch gap across the bottom. I had chicken wire going across but nothing else. I fixed that this morning. There are 2x4s securely strapped onto the bottom wrungs now. I'm also going to enclose the entire area with an outer fence so even if the dogs get out they will hit that fence first and the chickens won't be disturbed. I know you probably all understand this, my husband and I are new to raising chickens but we have come to adore ours already. We even discuss them with our friends none of which have chickens and so they don't "get it" about how thoroughly fascinating they are. I'm going to miss Frick and Cassie immensely.

Katrina

I am so sorry
sad.png
! I lost all my chickens a while back to my dogs! they got in when we were all gone. This is a hard time for you and know that we are all sad with you.

Lady Lavender -- my heart aches for you. My doxie has killed more guineas than I can count. Each shepherd has done at least one in....NOW I am hyper-alert. My neighbors have heard me shriek at my dogs too many times!

It's their nature.....darn the food chain anyway.

Back
Top Bottom