Heartbroken my dog just killed my chickens

I am one lucky son of a gun.
In 40+ years of dogs and chickens I have never had MY dog kill one of my chickens.

Lady Lavender, sorry about your loss, that sucks. The dog will need extra training and care but sounds like you have that covered.

Good Luck!!!

sad.png
hugs.gif

Hi, I'm new here, but I do sympathize. 3 weeks ago my dachshund got into the basement (we accidentally left the door open, our fault) and killed 27 week old chicks I had in a box brooder...she loves squeaky toys, and I'm guessing she chewed on them til they quit squeaking, then went back and got another, cause she didn't eat or maul any of them. no blood anywhere, just dead chicks hidden all over the house.
sad.png
She's now an outside dog, but last week she managed to somehow get a grown New Hampshire Red to fall off the gate he was roosting on, and I still haven't found anything but feathers. I've got 4 "barnyard" chickens left, as well as 16 white leghorns, 16 barred rocks, and 7 Aurucanas that'll be outside just as soon as I can get their coop and run finished. I was going to get rid of the dog, but I had to put my "good" dog down last friday after she got into antifreeze somewhere, and I think it would devastate my 9yo daughter to lose both dogs so quickly. I'm thinking of burying "invisible fence" around the runs, and that should take care of the dachshund vs chicken, but I also have 3 guineas I plan on letting free range and roost with the chickens. I'm building the fence 6' high with a landing board at the top so the guineas can come and go, but the chickens should stay in. Is there any way to keep the dachshund off the guineas while they're out?

Back
Top Bottom