Heartbroken

jgrieble

Hatching
7 Years
May 29, 2012
Sorry to start on such a crummy foot... but I'm just wondering what you all think I should do. I have never owned chickens before and am very excited about this new adventure. I ordered a variety of 8 little girls from My Pet Chicken. They shipped out this past Tuesday and today was the big day. Unfortunately my husband returned from the post office with bad news. Not one of them made it : ( So, do I just take the refund or do I let them try again. My logic tells me I should just take the refund. I don't want to chance losing more. Does anyone have any feeling about Meyer Hatchery? I am in western New York, so they are not too far from me. I don't want to wait another year, but I don't have the need for 25 birds either. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!

WelcometoBYC.gif
. So sorry for your losses!
hugs.gif
. Have you tried buying local? Craigslist is a good place to start.

Hey, just do what the rest of us do, shake the crumbs off your feet and start again! Craig's list could help you get mature (roos) hens that will start giving eggs right away. You could then hatch your own chicks if you wanted too!

The hatchery isn't always at fault for the death of the chicks, the weather (It was darn hot), and delivery handling, delays can also contribute to their demise. It is also not uncommon to lose chicks from the larger hatcheries even under the best conditions. It's not always bad to order more chicks than you want because you may lose some. So, don't write off MPC entirely, let them replace the chicks and have them ship now, with cooler weather in the forecast.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input : ) I did consider the weather and I have checked out Craigs. Apparently there are some local sources I was unaware of... For now I'll wait to talk to the people from MPC. I was on hold for over 20 minutes and finally just had to leave a message. Thanks again.

Hello and welcome to BYC! Sorry to hear about your chicks.
hugs.gif

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. So sorry you had a bad start. Just curious, how long did it take for them to get to you? I only order from places that are the close to me and Meyer is one of them. :thumbsup

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

So sorry to hear about your chicks that is very unusual for all of them to die. It is very stressful on chicks to be shipped but when the weather temperatures are just right not too cold or too hot chicks can be safely shipped. I would try again and try from a different location. Makes me think they were roughly handled.

Back
Top Bottom