Heartbroken.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkiesForEver, Dec 22, 2013.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I recently rescued a footless Silkie "hen", and 'her' sister. The poor birds weren't kept very well, but they didn't appear to be ill, just a little roughed up. The footless bird also had a mild case of lice, which I treated immediately.
    Since I got them, I've kept them in quarantine, and let them out occasionally in a tractor on fresh grass. But, just the other day I noticed that Peggy, affectionately known for 'her' peg leg, has discharge coming from one nostril, bubbles in her eyes, and swollen nasel passages. I added ACV to their water, along with garlic. If that doesn't help I will start meds.

Also, since Peggy was quite bald when 'she' came to me, many, many new and brightly colored feathers are coming in. "She" has regrown a lovely crest.... and streamers.
    I'm thinking "she's" a male. "She" was sold to me as a hen, supposedly around 5 months of age.

So, as much as it breaks my heart, I am thinking it is probably best if I cull these two birds. Peggy because of her illness, and her sister, Chestnut, because she's been with "her" the whole time.

Please give me humane ways to cull adult birds, and possibly if you know, a cure or a good idea for their illness.
    Thanks.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    She has been through so much,poor girl. Sounds like a respiratory infection which is treatable. Search forum for respiratory issues,some of the more common medications used are Tetracycline and Tylan.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

4. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
  6. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I always give Tylan 50 for respiratory infections. I put 3cc of the injectable kind in their drinking water per 1 gallon and I give them a shot under the skin on the breast. I usually take like 1cc of tylan 50 in a syringe and pull up 2 cc of penicillin with it, mix it well then I give like a bantam 3/4 of cc under the skin of it. You mix tylan with penicillin because it can be hard on tissue. You can give like 1/2cc orally too to them if you don't give shots and put it in drinking water and see what happens. I would give them bites of a hotdog or put some bread in a cup and pour milk over it and give them bites of that. Open their mouth and put some towards back of throat to make sure they get some nutirition.

7. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I have silkies and they can tend to get a respiratory infection this time of year. If they are very sick I give them a light hanging down with 100watt bulb if weather is too cold because they tend to get cold and I like to hang lights over the water anyways to keep it from freezing. Let us know how they do.

8. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I checked on them today, and actually Peggy looks better! "Her" nostrils are not swollen and there are no bubbles in 'her' eyes. I'm very pleased. I added new garlic "juice" to their water, and will try to head to the feedstore for Tylan.

Thanks so much for your help! I'm very encouraged now. [​IMG]

9. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    Cool. Good luck

10. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks. Also, thanks for the information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by