Heartwarming story about my ducks....

justafewchickens

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Hi all, I am a long time lurker, but a newbie. I wanted some oppinons about this. Me and my hubby had turned off our bedrroom lights at about 11 @ night. Hubby claimed he heard quacking. The coop is pretty far from th house and it was the middle of the night so not a good sign. We remembered we didn't close coop. Oh no we gasp. Hubby runs out of house to investigate. I'm panicked. We have two female ducks ( khaki campbell and splash swedish, along with many chickens) and they are best buds. Hubby sees khaki near our front porch quacking her head off. He goes to the coop and it turns kut everyone is fine except for swedish duck. She was stuck in the run. She tried to jump up into the coop door but it was dark so she kept missing. Hubby catches her and gets her in the coop. Took awhile til we got the khaki in, but she sees the swedish with hubby's flashlight and makes a beeline for her. It just amazed me at the level of caring this showed. She could hear her friend just couldn't help her, so she searched us out with only the light from our bedroom. Totally going against her instincts to help the Swedish duck. I loved them before but this blew my mind. Thank you for reading, sorry its long. Just hadn't heard of this before. Thank you.

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you! It feels great to be with people with a passion for poultry. I feel alone sometimes when people's eyes start to glaze over when I talk about my "kids". Love this place.

70%cocoa :

What a lovely story!
big_smile.png
And what a clever Khaki duck you have.

Thanks:) I thought so, but then I tried rationalizing it in duck terms. But even then the fact she went looking for us to help really amazed me. My ducks are so skittish of us. Made me feel good they needed me( even though they wouldn't admit it)​

Your ducks may be skittish of you but ducks are very smart, they know who takes loving care of them and keeps them safe. That's why she came to get your help. I'd be giving those darlings extra treats tomorrow :) What a wonderful story, made my eyes all juicey!

Welcome to BYC!

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom