Heat after 4 weeks???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Sep 2, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    My chicks are 4 weeks today. I followed the heat recommendations according to our chick thermomenter.

95 first week
    90 second week
    85 third week
    75 fourth week

But there is no marking after that. I've been leaving the heat lamp off during the day most of this week because it's been warm enough. Even without the lamp it's sometimes over 75. My brooder is in the garage (south facing so stays pretty warm. And when too hot I go out and open the garage up so they can get air and cool off.

Long intro to my question. Which is what can I drop the temp too now? Can I leave the lamp off over night? It's only supposed to get down to 67 tonight. And like I said they are in the garage so it probably doesn't get that cool in the garage.

I have 5 chicks and they are in various stages of feathering. They also have always seemed happier being cooler instead of warmer. Never have been chicks to huddle under the lamp. Thanks for the help.

2. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    My chicks turned 4 weeks yesterday and I took them off the heat lamp last week. This is the first time I done that bu they are fine. The usual requirements is to start at 95 and reduce 5 degrees each week until they are 8 weeks old and then put them outside. I hope this helps :)

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are old enough and the temperatures are moderate enough that they should do fine without heat.

4. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Whoooohoooooo!!! [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Unless you get a super cold night, predicted in the 40's, your chicks will now acclimate to the late summer weather just fine.

6. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    And then I assume will continue to acclimate to New England fall and then winter?

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yeeeuuuuup

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As long as you provide the proper sized snow shoes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by