Heat for winter? Help

kkowa

Songster
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Wisconson
Winter is going to be here soon and I need some help I have a breeding coop af 3 cages stacked on top of each other. Any way they have an indoor part and I want to heat it for the winter because all my show birds are in there what would be the best way to do that? I would need it in all three cages if anyone has any ideas please let me know along with heating my PVC watering system I'm thinking heat tape but I don't know what to do in the bucket and to keep the nipples from freezing any help would be great thanks!

Hi kkowa,

I'm in WI too. We don't heat for our gals in winter. They have a coop that was the woodshed. Their body heat keeps it warm enough for them, but I do have my brooder lamp ready just in case I need to add a bit of heat in a deep freeze. We don't use nipples in winter, we use a tin with a lightbulb inside and a waterer sitting on top of it. That's enough to keep it from freezing.

We've found that letting them get used to the cold helps them get nice and puffy before the worst of the winter hits.

Do you have a shed or anything that you can put them in for the winter?

no I don't and there are only 2 banties per cage and I would like them to stay nice for shows I attend in late fall when it starts to get really cold

I wrap my outdoor run in clear vinyl shower curtains for the winter. This keeps the snow out, and eliminates the wind as well. It makes enough of a difference that my waterers do not freeze during the day. You could also make sure the coops have good southern exposure, to take advantage of the sun. I added south facing windows to the doors of my shed, and this allows as much sunshine as possible in during the day which can warm the coop very nicely on many winter days.

Winter is going to be here soon and I need some help I have a breeding coop af 3 cages stacked on top of each other. Any way they have an indoor part and I want to heat it for the winter because all my show birds are in there what would be the best way to do that? I would need it in all three cages if anyone has any ideas please let me know along with heating my PVC watering system I'm thinking heat tape but I don't know what to do in the bucket and to keep the nipples from freezing any help would be great thanks!
Someone just told me that an aquarium heater will work to keep the water from freezing. I'm gonna try that because it alot less expensive than the heated buckets

Back
Top Bottom