Heat Hardy Goose Breeds?

Kylo_Hen!

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 28, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm looking at maybe getting a goose to protect my hen, however, I have seen a lot of people saying geese are not heat-hardy. I live in a place where winter rarely goes over 40 degrees and lasts maybe 2 months, and the summers can get well into 100 degrees Fahrenheit. If I do get a goose, I will offer a pond or small water feature for it. My question is: are there any heat-tolerant goose breeds?

Keep in mind geese are not affective protectors of other birds let alone themselves. They will protect their nest and mate with their lives but the key words in that are “with their lives.”
Geese are smaller and more fragile than they let on and have no instinct or ability to defend others from fox, raccoon, skunks, or anything larger.

Geese can deter hawks because of their size and can be great alarm geese, meaning that they can alert a flock to danger simply by being an extra set of eyes. Some breeds like Chinese geese are more vocal and bold towards intruders so they can make excellent alarm geese, however they still cannot defend others or themselves.

From what I’ve seen white geese tend to be more heat resistant than buff or grey geese because their coloration doesn’t absorb heat as much.

👆🏻 That vid shows you just how helpless fowl really are and believe me, the attack WILL come and afterwards your birds will be so traumatised that they will never return to normal. It's just so sad. Remember, geese taste good to predators, too.

Keep in mind geese are not affective protectors of other birds let alone themselves. They will protect their nest and mate with their lives but the key words in that are “with their lives.”
Geese are smaller and more fragile than they let on and have no instinct or ability to defend others from fox, raccoon, skunks, or anything larger.

Geese can deter hawks because of their size and can be great alarm geese, meaning that they can alert a flock to danger simply by being an extra set of eyes. Some breeds like Chinese geese are more vocal and bold towards intruders so they can make excellent alarm geese, however they still cannot defend others or themselves.

From what I’ve seen white geese tend to be more heat resistant than buff or grey geese because their coloration doesn’t absorb heat as much.
that video gets me every time it’s so sad they are so afraid 😭

Back
Top Bottom