Heat in cold winter, Please help

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
I have a coop/chicken house that is 4 feet wide, by 2 1/2 - 3 feet deep, and 2 feet tall. It is housing 4 small bantam chickens (two black tail japanese, and two seramas). I live where our winter gets cold.

How to heat the coop for some warmth in freezing temperatures? I have a brooder reflector, and am planning on putting in a 60w incandescent light bulb. I am afraid a regular brooder-heat bulb would be too hot and unsafe for that small of the space.

If it helps to know our average temperatures during the winter:

November average-- high 50.3====low 32.9
December average-- high 36.1====low 21.0
January average-- high 32.8==== low 17.0
February average-- high 37.7====low 21.2

Those are Fahrenheit
The highs are ''daytime'' high, and the lows are ''night time'' lows. It is not at all uncommon for it to get much colder, and none of those temps are what 'wind chill' can be

have you considered a heat pad or better, a heat plate? Much lessened fire risk, birds are better able to achieve their desired temps than flooding the space with a lot of wasted energy via bulb.

Wind Chill isn't a factor, your birds shouldn't be exposed to drafts. and those temps aren't normally a concern for chickens at all - with no heat - so long as they are dry and out of the breeze, though I have no experience with bantams and their much smaller body mass.

Back
Top Bottom