Heat Lamp alternatives

I bought the brinsea eco glow for my first chickies (they'll be 18 wks old monday)...I LOVED IT! I was fire paranoid, and when I first got the brinsea, I didn't think it was putting out enough heat, but it does, just a different kind of heat. My babies LOVED that heater to,, It was a little pricey, but you may be able to find a coupon or discount code via the net. I still have mine, and definitely recommend it.

Sometimes they also have them on ebay cheaper, but at the time I didn't see any so went straight to the company to order.
Diane

we just raised 12 chicks and the ecoglow20 worked great. the first 2 weeks they could all fit under it, then i raised it and for next 2 weeks they were under and huddled around. then week 4-6 they just huddled. highly recommended

Sallysec, thanks. They are all doing well and I decided on one thermometer.
wink.png
Anyway, they're all happy. Guess I'm just having first-time jitters.

We had a chick die under the heatlamp. We didn't really have any experience with the heat lamp, had always used a broody.
It was a heartbreaking experience as we were so looking forward to hatching the eggs of our pet hen that was killed, and this chick was
the only one that hatched. :( It was just too hot for her under the heat lamp. So they are so dangerous. I am very reluctant to use them.I've never
tried the Ecoglo but if I were going to deal with chicks again, I would definitely consider getting one.

Chicks really don't need as much heat as we think they do. I put my chicks outside on day 2, with an ecoglow, and it's dropped as low as 45 here - and they are running around, not even under the heat. :)
how did our poor grandparents ever survive without heat lamps
put them behind the wood stove..
kerosene heaters
my great grandma Skinner's solution just hatch the chicks in july she said never have to worry about night temps outside.
she just put a board over the hole in the outhouse at night ..to keep them safe from the fox's '
I remember she had at least 50 chicks all pasture raised.

how did our poor grandparents ever survive without heat lamps
put them behind the wood stove..
kerosene heaters
my great grandma Skinner's solution just hatch the chicks in july she said never have to worry about night temps outside.
she just put a board over the hole in the outhouse at night ..to keep them safe from the fox's '
I remember she had at least 50 chicks all pasture raised.
Yuh, when I got my first chicks I did it with the heat lamp and a thermometer.. Pasty butt all around!! I was paranoid about the lamp, had to keep moving it.. and the chicks were in light 24x7 so when finally put outside they screamed like little girls. :p

With an ecoglow you can turn the lights OFF and they sleep through the night with only slight little peeping.. no more getting up to distressed chicks because of the loud peeping - they are used to the dark just like with a mama. And I rarely see pasty butt. It's pricey, but think about all the electricity a 250w heat lamp takes? I think the ecoglow is about 18w, iirc. Someone here worked the numbers and I think it takes about three hatches to break even on cost (working in the savings of a 250w bulb 24x7).

I had NY's day chicks last year that couldn't go outside right away (not doing that again!) and in my 60 degree house the chicks were out of the ecoglow more than under it after about two days. And they didn't die. :p

Back
Top Bottom