Heat Lamp Danger

mybuttercuproo

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 1, 2010
20 dead chickens on the floor of my coop this morning. After taking them to the University of Missouri veterinary pathology department, the necropsy showed inflammation of the lungs from noxious fumes. This was tracked back to the only thing that had changed was a new heat lamp that had Teflon coating. The fumes from these shatter resistant bulbs with Teflon coating are extremely toxic to chickens. It killed my chickens in less than eight hours. I later found articles posted from Murray McMurray Hatchery, Inc. Warning about these bulbs. these are regular indoor heat lamps with no warning on them, so please beware. The death was so sudden and massive that it was easy to assume it was avian influenza. The department of agriculture, cultured my chickens, and all the cultures were negative. That’s why we pursued the necropsy. It was the Teflon coated bulbs that acted just like avian influenza. Severe respiratory distress and sudden death of my entire flock.

I am so sorry about your birds. And also angry that there is no warning on the heat lamp bulbs. Who do we contact to get something going to put warnings on these things? Is there already a group of people who have started a campaign to save chickens from heat lamp bulbs that don’t have warning labels? Anyone know?

Back
Top Bottom