Winter is coming--Don't turn on your heat lamps!!!

Excuse me? :) It's true. Why can't I say something that's true? Even though some people don't like to think it's true - it is. And there is nothing they can do to stop it. If you're offended please keep scrolling :)
i’m not offended at all. fairytales don’t offend me.

there’s just no reason to take a nice informative post and make it a religious thing.

i’m not offended at all. fairytales don’t offend me.

there’s just no reason to take a nice informative post and make it a religious thing.
I think if all religious and political postings were banned from byc this would be an even better site, focus on the birds 🤟

I agree with poster heat lamps arent needed in winter on 95% of occassions. Ive never added lights to continue laying during winter but my grandad always did. I dont see harm in it if your purpose is too have constant layers all year round they gotta earn their keep somehow. I focus on hatching chicks over egg production, so Im happy with getting little to no eggs throughout the winter as long as they lay well in spring and summer when Im hatching 😎 🤟

Last edited:
Very true. Thanks for sharing! Heat lamps are also fire hazards if not used properly. Whole coops burn down every winter because of heat lamps!
Also, "Nature" should actually be "God". :)
I say nature so people can interpret however they like. I personally connect God and nature, but not everybody does and I can respect that :)

I am headed down today, to clean out the built up manure in my coop. Why - it is not a lot? And it is warming up.

Because this is when I will tend to get frostbite. It is not about cold, we have been dang cold, near or below zero at night for several days. Now it is warming up, NOW the manure will thaw, - releasing a lot of moisture into the air, then tonight - down below freezing even a little bit - and that is when I get frost bite.

Here in the arid mid west, when we are bitter cold, we are also dry... warm air holds a lot more moisture.

New people to chickens think Warm and Cold, but experienced people think DRY and Wind protection. Once I figured that out, chickens were much more healthy.

Mrs K

I am headed down today, to clean out the built up manure in my coop. Why - it is not a lot? And it is warming up.

Because this is when I will tend to get frostbite. It is not about cold, we have been dang cold, near or below zero at night for several days. Now it is warming up, NOW the manure will thaw, - releasing a lot of moisture into the air, then tonight - down below freezing even a little bit - and that is when I get frost bite.

Here in the arid mid west, when we are bitter cold, we are also dry... warm air holds a lot more moisture.

New people to chickens think Warm and Cold, but experienced people think DRY and Wind protection. Once I figured that out, chickens were much more healthy.

Mrs K
Great advice Mrs K! I agree. Bad moisture and ventilation can lead to frostbite. Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom