Heat lamp....I know I know

Aug 30, 2020
I have 9 chickens.

2 are about a year old.
1 is about 5 months old
6 are 3 months old.

I have a 10x10 run attached to my coop-I built a custom roosting bar with a heat lamp above it.

the heat lamp is NOT inside the coop-not near the coop. But it’s going to be in the mid 20s tomorrow night and I’m worried about my 3 month olds and the 5 month old.
Do you think they’ll be fine inside the coop which has minimal draft? Or should I leave the coop door open so they can go on the roosting bar and sit under the lamp if they get cold?

I do not want to run the heat lamp all winter. I know they’re not safe. And I don’t want them to get accustomed to it. What do you guys think?

I have 9 chickens.

2 are about a year old.
1 is about 5 months old
6 are 3 months old.

I have a 10x10 run attached to my coop-I built a custom roosting bar with a heat lamp above it.

the heat lamp is NOT inside the coop-not near the coop. But it’s going to be in the mid 20s tomorrow night and I’m worried about my 3 month olds and the 5 month old.
Do you think they’ll be fine inside the coop which has minimal draft? Or should I leave the coop door open so they can go on the roosting bar and sit under the lamp if they get cold?

I do not want to run the heat lamp all winter. I know they’re not safe. And I don’t want them to get accustomed to it. What do you guys think?
I think this is a good point. You stated all the facts that I would be worried about already, and It may be a good idea for the 5 and 3 month olds. Here is a good idea on how to see if they need it or not though. Put the heat lamp in a room, and make a cold side, and a warm side. See if they are hanging around the cool side or near the lamp, and that will tell you how much they are really needing the lamp. I don't know if you can adjust the heat or not, but if you adjust the heat lower, and they are still staying away from it, they probably don't need it.

I had it on the other night when it was chilly out but not as cold as it will be tomorrow night. I had the door open so they could sit under it if need be.

I woke up around 4am and looked at the coop and they were all under it besides my 1 year olds.

I had it on the other night when it was chilly out but not as cold as it will be tomorrow night. I had the door open so they could sit under it if need be.

I woke up around 4am and looked at the coop and they were all under it besides my 1 year olds.
Alright so they probably need it then. Just keep the heat minimal. Not so its so hot that it may get them accustomed to the heat, but just warm, so they don't freeze. I think your strategy is good, but more experienced members will be able to confirm that. ☺

Hmmm, I would think that they wouldn't need it- but since its under 20... It might be a good idea to put it on in the cold nights? Hope you figure it out.

Alright so they probably need it then. Just keep the heat minimal. Not so its so hot that it may get them accustomed to the heat, but just warm, so they don't freeze. I think your strategy is good, but more experienced members will be able to confirm that. ☺
Not really that experienced but that sounds like a plan

[/QUOTE]

Affirmative. This sounds good. :thumbsup

I have 9 chickens.

2 are about a year old.
1 is about 5 months old
6 are 3 months old.

They DON'T need it. You truly are not doing them any favors supplementing heat. Especially when it's only getting into the 20s.
You are thinking like a mammal, not a bird.
These birds are very well equipped to deal with the cold as long as they have a DRY well ventilated coop.
My flock has gone through nights as low as -23F in an uninsulated, unheated coop. THEY WERE FINE!
All of your flock is fully feathered. If you start putting out a heat lamp you are going to prevent them from acclimating to the normal temperatures they will experience.
I'm more interested in knowing what your coop ventilation is like. Where is it and how much?
How much space for these 9 birds?
Do you keep your water in the run?
How to you deal with their nightly poop load?
Sending birds to roost with full crops in a dry well ventilated coop with no drafts directly on the roosted birds is the best way to ensuring that they will stay healthy throughout winter.

They DON'T need it. You truly are not doing them any favors supplementing heat. Especially when it's only getting into the 20s.
You are thinking like a mammal, not a bird.
These birds are very well equipped to deal with the cold as long as they have a DRY well ventilated coop.
My flock has gone through nights as low as -23F in an uninsulated, unheated coop. THEY WERE FINE!
All of your flock is fully feathered. If you start putting out a heat lamp you are going to prevent them from acclimating to the normal temperatures they will experience.
I'm more interested in knowing what your coop ventilation is like. Where is it and how much?
How much space for these 9 birds?
Do you keep your water in the run?
How to you deal with their nightly poop load?
Sending birds to roost with full crops in a dry well ventilated coop with no drafts directly on the roosted birds is the best way to ensuring that they will stay healthy throughout winter.
I have been proven wrong. Glad that a more experienced member corrected me! He is right through now that I think about it that way, if they are fully feathered, they should be fine. Our adult flock was fine in 5 degree weather last year.

Back
Top Bottom