Heat lamp....I know I know

My 3-month olds are in a dry, draft free coop and it was in single digits here over the weekend. They were fine. I don’t even have all the windows put in yet. They were outside running around with temps in the teens. Yours will be fine. Especially if you let them acclimate properly for the winter.

I'm more interested in knowing what your coop ventilation is like. Where is it and how much?
How much space for these 9 birds?
Do you keep your water in the run?
How to you deal with their nightly poop load?
Ditto All Dat!!^^

Plus.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1604066161901.png

Your chicks are by now fully feathered and should NOT need extra heat. I agree with @Dobie Lover above! I have five young chickens just 7 weeks out in the coop with the other chickens and their mom. Temps have been to -13C (-9F) here at night, and they are fine. They all line up on the roost and squeeze together and keep warm that way. Because our winters are very cold and very long, they need to acclimatize to the cold. I'm in Northern BC, and we get temps in the -30 to -40c range (about the same in F), and they come through just fine. No power to the coop, no heating at all.

Trust me, they'll be fine. :)

Sorry guys, I may be a little more over concerned than I need to be.

the coop and run are dry. I am in CT.

yes they are all fully feathered. Maybe I just feel bad I don’t know. I guess I will eliminate the heat lamp all together. I do know last night when I got home 7 of them were all cuddled together without the heat lamp inside the coop. And the other 2 were on their own because they’re sassy and independent.

The water is kept in their run as well and the food. That’s how it’s been since day one.

Sorry guys, I may be a little more over concerned than I need to be.

the coop and run are dry. I am in CT.

yes they are all fully feathered. Maybe I just feel bad I don’t know. I guess I will eliminate the heat lamp all together. I do know last night when I got home 7 of them were all cuddled together without the heat lamp inside the coop. And the other 2 were on their own because they’re sassy and independent.

The water is kept in their run as well and the food. That’s how it’s been since day one.
You won't be doing them any favors with the heat lamp. Chickens bodies adapt to the cold. If you provide heat inside then they wont ever adapt and if for some reason the light goes out in the middle of the night it can do more harm than good. I know we think they're cold but they have a full down coat on. I promise they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom