Heat lamp in coop for 7 week chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickfamilyonsleepyhollow, May 30, 2010.

1. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning everyone,
    Just wondering if I need to use a heat lamp if outside temps get below 60. We're newbie's --- our six chicks are almost seven weeks old and we're ready to move them into their new coop ... they've been outside during the day with temps 70-80 degrees ... and we bring them in at sunset ... nighttime gets to be around 50-60. They climb right up on my hand in the morning when I put them outside [​IMG] [​IMG] but want nothing to do with me when its time to bring them in the house [​IMG] [​IMG] We just love em [​IMG]

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    good morning back at ya [​IMG]
    i think being your chicks are about 8 week mark for letting the heat source go and the temp a bit higher. i would only try this 30 minutes at a time. as to get your chicks used to life without a heat source. you might have alot of peeping if you just shock them and turn it off, and never turn it back on. happened to me.
    good luck! [​IMG]

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    My chicks have been outside since 5 weeks. They are almost 7 weeks now & I had the heat lamp on a few nights when it was in the 50s and 60s, but now they are weathering all temps well. No more heat lamp uunless it gets below 45. All but a few have been roosting since 6 weeks. They are having a blast.

4. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

Thanks for the replies [​IMG] I think I'll set-up the the heat lamp and turn it on if it seems like they're chilly [​IMG]

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    You will probably get away without a heat lamp if you have large chicks, a draft -free enclosure and a more than 2 or 3 chicks. If there is a cold night forecast, switch on the heat lamp,
    Good Luck,
    Sandie

6. bocephus_the_rooster

bocephus_the_rooster Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    how does anyone have the heat lamp set up in there coop? i'm building my coop and i'm just not quite sure how i wanna do it. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

7. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

Well its a warm night outside so we didn't need a heat lamp ... however the chicks were having a hard time getting used to their new home so we decided to hang a yellow bug light inside and that seemed to settle them down very nicely ... I'm on my way out there to check on them before I go to bed but the mosiquitos are BRUTAL [​IMG] I hope I can make it back to the house alive [​IMG]

We have a 2 X 4 across the top of the coop so that we can hang their food and water ... thats where the lamp is hanging right now.

8. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    My chicks range in age from 6 weeks to 9 weeks. They have been in the coop for a couple of weeks. I am still using a heat lamp at night. We are having an unusually cool and wet spring. Most nights are still 45 - 50 degrees and daytime highs are 55 - 65 degrees. I sure wish we would get some dry and warmer weather soon but the 7 day forecast does not show much improvement. It is an absolutely horrible year for gardeners so far.

9. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    lol parts of my garden seem to be in reverse while the rest seems to be swimming in their beds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by