Heat lamp in Winter???

fordmommy

Dancing With My Chickens
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Wisconsin
I was wondering if you HAVE to have a heat lamp in winter. We live in Wisconsin and it gets pretty cold. But they're chickens. They should keep each other warm, right?
idunno.gif

Any suggestions from people in the colder states??? What do you do??? I've got eight chickens.

Thanks.

Last edited:
No, you don't.

Give them flat roosts (wide side of 2x4) so they can settle down on their feet. A bit of Vaseline on combs and wattles on really cold nights will often prevent frostbite.

Biggest thing is to keep the coop well ventilated while not being drafty. Chickens tolerate cold fine; they have their own winter coats! But the don't tolerate dampness or drafts well. In really cold climates, insulation may be a great advantage. And power for an electric water heater, to keep the drinking water from freezing, is a great convenience.

For starters, see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Note that Pat lives in Canada.

Lots of other good information on here.

The heat argument will run all winter. I got the small watt red heat lamp that I use when it hits below +10. I am aware of what it was like where I used to live (in No.MN) and did know folks with barn chickens there, but they had pigs or cows or something to help. I still remember the -20 for a week stuff when I lived in cold country. There is a factor of breeds and cold----But if I moved back to the tundra---I would use a small heat lamp, and tighten up my small flock coop, and look to 'cold breeds'. Of course you could never get me back winters. The small heat lamp makes ME feel better.

In the south, no you don't need a warmer. But up north, I would imagine that it would probably be beneficial. I wouldn't know for sure, but I see lots of ice and snow on TV.

I plan on putting in a small heat lamp and a heated water bowl..the heat lamp because they are pets and I will worry about them.
the heated water bowl is probably all I really "Need" for keeping them with fluid drinking water when its cold.

If your breeds are intelligently-chosen and your coop well-designed and well-managed, no, you would not normally need a heat lamp in winter in Wisconsin. (If you have very large-elaborate-combed breeds, or insufficient ventilation, or drafts, or a humid coop, or aren't feeding them enough, or that sort of thing, then a heat lamp will help, although not as much as correcting the fundamental problem would help)

There are a lot of things you can do to keep the coop from getting as cold as the outdoor air, especially if it is a decent-sized walk-in coop as opposed to, like, a small reach-in type coop (which is a lot harder to manage in cold winter temperatures). Excellent insulation helps a whole lot, as does having lotsa solar gain during the day and lotsa thermal mass to hold that warmth through the nighttime. Etcetera.

It is never a bad idea, though, IMHO, to have electricity available so that you *can* hook up a lamp if circumstances make it seem prudent. Like if the indoor coop temperature is getting down below -20 F a lot; or if some of the chickens are having trouble, like incipient frostbite or being sick for other reasons and not needing super cold temperatures on top of it. Also of course life is SO much easier with a heated waterer or waterer base, so you don't have to bring them fresh liquid water a buncha times a day and hope they drink enough before it freezes.

FWIW, the first person I knew when I moved to Canada who had chickens around here, kept them in an unheated old-style coop with a wire front that she stapled plastic sheeting over for winterizing. No heat, no extra lighting, no nuffin' else. They did fine
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thanks a whole bunches Pat. Your info answered it all. I WILL be putting electricity in the shed for them. We have been debating whether or not to. But now...I think that if it's there...and we need it...

And I don't want to bring water to them every hour.

This last winter we had record numbers of snow fall here in Wisconsin. OVER 88 inches!!!!
ep.gif
And cold!

I'm relieved to know I'm on the right track.

Thanks again!

I did not have a heat lamp last winter. It got down to -29 in the next city over (Cedar Rapids).

I do have a heater to keep the water unfrozen. I also don't have any delicate breeds.

I do have the ability to add a heat lamp if I needed too though.

Last edited:
In the past, no lamps for me. Just an electric heated base for the waterers.
I did chose my breeds better for the area in the last couple years... until this spring.

I ordered "the rarest of the rare" assortment from Mc Murry Hatchery. Now I have some that are insulated from head to toe and some that look like they would freeze at 30 degrees. So... I will be able to give better advise next year.

(oh, ya... then I got the bright idea to get 70 quail (50 left. Tasty
wink.png
Who knows what temps they will tolerate. They should do fine as long as I keep it draft free.)

Back
Top Bottom