heat lamp on 24 hrs

Hi. I just bought a heat lamp for my chicks I am getting tomorrow. I am keeping them in my laundry room in a homemade brooder. Do I need to leave the light on in the room in addion to heat lamp or can I turn out the light in the room but leave the heat lamp on at night?? Thanks for your help!
jumpy.gif
!

Hi. I just bought a heat lamp for my chicks I am getting tomorrow. I am keeping them in my laundry room in a homemade brooder. Do I need to leave the light on in the room in addion to heat lamp or can I turn out the light in the room but leave the heat lamp on at night?? Thanks for your help!
jumpy.gif
!
Just the heat lamp is fine, although a light during the day is nice so that it simulates day/night.

you can turn the room light out.
the big challenge is to avoid getting them too hot. you will need to make sure they can escape the heat - that the whole brooder isn't heated the same temp. direct the heat to one corner section. if they're cold, they'll get under it. if they're hot they'll avoid it. if you see them getting as far away as possible from the light - it's too hot. i did alot of heat light dancing for the first few days/nights trying to get it figured out.
lots of babies die from too hot.
if you have a thermometer of some kind, put in the brooder to see what your temp is. shoot for 90-95 (for just hatched). decrease the heat by changing wattage, or distance each week by about five degrees. once you have your temp arranged, then adjust by chick behavior - not so much actual temperature.
good luck with your babies. hope it goes great & you have great fun. chickens are the best.

p.s. what worked well for me when i first got mine was to give them almost warm water - either sugar water or what the hatchery sends. the warm helps them recoup from the stress & the sugar or electrolytes gives them an immediate boost that helps set them up for success. as i put each one in the brooder, i dipped their beak in the tepid water then let them go.

You guys are great THANKS a LOT! That will help me out. I got a bigger bin and a thermometer so I could make them as happy as possible!

you can turn the room light out.
the big challenge is to avoid getting them too hot. you will need to make sure they can escape the heat - that the whole brooder isn't heated the same temp. direct the heat to one corner section. if they're cold, they'll get under it. if they're hot they'll avoid it. if you see them getting as far away as possible from the light - it's too hot. i did alot of heat light dancing for the first few days/nights trying to get it figured out.
This is key! So many people think the entire brooder has to be 90 (or whatever) degrees rather than just the area under the lamp. The lamp is taking mama hens place - and chicks get under mama hen to warm up, but they leave mama's feathers to explore, peck about, cool down when needed...

Hahaha....it looks like they fell asleep while reading the newspaper!!

Home Depot carries 100 wt 'landscaping' bulbs that are red but are w-a-y cooler and less expensive than the 250 wt heat bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom