Heat lamp or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jodiplunk, Nov 13, 2013.

1. jodiplunk

jodiplunk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    I have a small flock of pullets, ranging from 17-30 weeks, production red x2, Black sex link, Black Australorp, Ameraucana, Silkie Bantum and Speckled Sussex. Tractor supply where I buy their feed keep telling me that I need a heat lamp for them at night. I was under the impression that I didn't. We live in Middle Tennessee. Admittedly it did get down to 24 degrees last night, but I always thought that in this area we didn't need to heat the coop at night. In fact too warm could be a problem. Grateful for any feedback. Thanks in advance!

2. The chickens might appreciate it.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    But they really don't need added heat in most of the US. Add in the problem of losing the heat with a power outage and I don't think it is worth it.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Stay with your instincts. Remember, Tractor Supply is in business to sell things, not to keep your birds healthy! Your birds don't need heat at all. Far better to let them acclimate naturally. I firmly believe living creatures that experience changes of seasons are healthier and thriftier than pampered animals that are kept in a controlled environment all the time. If you coop is dry and they're out of the wind, you're good to go.

5. Ya, I am sure they just want your money.

6. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    My 12-13 week old birds are doing just fine without heat. It's been downright cold here in WI. The first really cold day they came out of the coop, stood there for a minute then dashed back in the coop. Since then they have been out and about all day, and snuggled together at night.

7. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    No, you do not need a heat lamp. Even in the colder months, a heat lamp after 10 weeks is really unnecessary. We've hit single digits here and my 12 weekers have easily survived single digit temps just fine. Chickens are a lot more hardy than we think. As long as they have shelter against the elements, keeping them dry and out of the wind, and proper litter with roosting available off of the ground, they will fare just fine :) Enjoy them!

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    No, not at that age, we have some young silkies in that aging... roughly 12-13wks, we have dropped well below freezing a few times this past week, no heat, no fancy anything, they were even outside blowing about, the snow they were not so content with but they managed lol

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Read this about heat lamps, best concise discussion on heating I've seen!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by