Heat lamp outside in covered chicken run.

My coop is fully insulated ( R-5 and Reflectix) with no drafts and appropriate vents. Still, gets down to 30 F. I finally found safe solution with a 700 watt oil filled heater and a 12 gauge 50 ft exterior extension cord. Keep temp at 62 during the night. Cord runs through PVC pipe. Added PVC to small section from heater to exterior not seen in photos. The heater box is mounted to the post above the wood shavings.

Majority of folks say they are not uncomfortable. However, my bantam roosters seem cold to me. It makes me feel better. It has been as cold as 1 degree F outside and my boys are so happy to be in their digs.
Coop is ugly but no leaks and predator proof.
What if the power gets knocked out for a few days in 0° weather. Your birds are going to suffer because they won't be accustomed to those temps.
-11 here last night. My birds are just fine this morning.

What if the power gets knocked out for a few days in 0° weather. Your birds are going to suffer because they won't be accustomed to those temps.
-11 here last night. My birds are just fine this morning.
They will be fine, like I said the heat lamp is to keep the water from freezing not heating the coop, the coop is still chilly when I go out at night to check them and burn trash... the lamp shines on the water jug.

My coop is fully insulated ( R-5 and Reflectix) with no drafts and appropriate vents. Still, gets down to 30 F. I finally found safe solution with a 700 watt oil filled heater and a 12 gauge 50 ft exterior extension cord. Keep temp at 62 during the night. Cord runs through PVC pipe. Added PVC to small section from heater to exterior not seen in photos. The heater box is mounted to the post above the wood shavings.

Majority of folks say they are not uncomfortable. However, my bantam roosters seem cold to me. It makes me feel better. It has been as cold as 1 degree F outside and my boys are so happy to be in their digs.
Coop is ugly but no leaks and predator proof.
Wow. that's some seriously wide open land in that 2nd picture.

Back
Top Bottom