Heat lamp question

My local tractor supply has them so I will pick one up today. Ever sense i picked up the heat lamp up everything's been better. And I have two different indoor brooders I have them in the smaller one for now sense i wasn't aware or told that while it was in the shed a rat chewed a hope into it :hit so that is getting a new floor today as well lol.

Actually, @treslilbirds, it’s more likely that they sleep all night through and aren’t eating 24 hours a day! A broody hen doesn’t get them to eat constantly once it gets dark - they tuck under her and sleep all night through. I dunno - that’s my theory and I’m sticking to it! :lau

I don’t see any difference in how much they poop, truth be told.....but then as long as they WERE pooping and it looked normal, I was happy.

I agree that the chicks are too warm. Smaller bulb would help. Mine are off all heat at 4 weeks old, outside when our highs are barely bumping up to 30. I start weaning them off Mama Heating Pad at 3 weeks.

I'm using an infrared "Sweeter Heater" this year, and it's a godsend. You're right. The last peep of the day is around sunset, then they sleep through the night. I also don't have to worry about the red bulb burning down the house!

Back
Top Bottom