Heat Lamp (Red vs. White)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ScrmnWoody, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ScrmnWoody

ScrmnWoody Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Whatcom County, WA
    I have seen both white and red heat lamps used for brooding chicks. Any opinions on which is better and why? Any particular wattage that seems to work best?

2. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    I still use a 250 watt red lamp and my girls are 6.5 weeks old (they are outside). Red lights are usually a bit more expensive than a white heat bulb. I have not had any trouble with aggression or pecking at all. I have heard and read chickens are more calm with the red light. What do you more experienced say?[​IMG]:confused::confused:

3. ScrmnWoody

ScrmnWoody Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Whatcom County, WA
    Quote:Thanks. I missed that in my search. That helps.

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    without checking the provided link, I believe the main thought behind the red light is that it makes it harder for them to see blood. If a chick gets injured or peck and there is blood, if the others see it, they go crazy and can often kill the bleeding chick/chicken. The red light makes it so they can't see the blood as well and helps prevent that from happening.

5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    I like red lights better. I've read chicken books, information on the internet and they say you should use red lets, it prevents picking

~hope it helped~

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have used both. When they are babies I really didn't noticed any differance. The white light didn't seem to bother them. They still ate, slept ans pooped. There is a picture on my BYC Page of my brooder and light. Also, there is a BYC thread with brooders and most use white lights.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by