Heat Lamp started fire! Warning!! Learn from my mistake!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Staceyfeindt, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Staceyfeindt

Staceyfeindt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I just have to report this to you all, so you do not make the same mistake as I did! I Just had a new coop built. We have had a huge snowstorm here in VA and in preperation I put the heat lamp that I used all through their lives into the coop. It was the clamp on kind. I did not secure it other than clamping it down. In their old coop I had it attatched via a zip tie. Well they must have knocked it down while I was away for the day...I came back to a massive fire. Of course no survivors, the entire structure burned down to almost nothing. If it wasn't for all the snow I would have lost my house as well. Sad , Sad day. Please don't make the same mistake I did.

1 person likes this.
  2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    [​IMG] Oh my god, we am so sorry, we know what that feels like. [​IMG]

Oh man we am truly sorry this happen to you. [​IMG]

Rest in peice babys.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  3. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    I am going out right now and securing mine, thanks for the warning, I am so sorry for your loss.

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Oh My Gosh! I am SO very sorry for your losses! Thank you for warning the rest of us!! Bless your heart, if I had any of those kinds you want I would give them to you! SO SO SORRY!

5. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    [​IMG]

6. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Lucky it did not hit your house and you and your family were not there.

Same here, if you get settled with an incubator, and when my girls start laying i will send you some eggs, free.

again i am so sorry, we just went through this a few months ago, and we know the feeling of loosing the babys to such a tragidy.
    And we got so much support from fellow BYCers, so this will be my chance to pay it forward.
    Let me know if you are interested , when my girls start to lay we want you to be the fisrt my list. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  7. 8wishbonechicks

8wishbonechicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2009
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank goodness it didn't reach your house b/c of the snow.I wish you luck on a successful new start.
    [​IMG]

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I nearly burned my coop down about six years ago because hubby didn't secure it and it fell down when one of the older birds decided to get into the brooder. Luckily I had survivors but many of them didn't make it. Lost about half of my Faverolle flock.

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I am so sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Incrediblely sorry you lost so much! Our friend lost his racing pigeon loft the same way! He was there and could still do nothing to save his birds.it was a very fast fire! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by