Heat lamp with light VS. Heat with no light

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Youngfamily1989, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Youngfamily1989

Youngfamily1989 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2007
    Tennessee City
    When I think I have it figured out, I read somthing that gives me doubt. If you all get Practical Poultry mag there is a colum in there about having a light on 24-7 for heat. The light allows them to feed 24 hours a day causing them to grow faster and heavier causing crooked toe and prolapse. Well this raises another question. How can I heat my 2 to 10 week old chickens; at this stage the're to big to keep in the house. Have any of you heard this and do you keep a light on 24-7 when its cold outside? This ad starts on page 30 Oct. issue.

Thanks, Brian [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I use light for heat with no problems. I do take it away as soon as they can take the cold.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Over 20 years of using heat lights (red) and never had an issue like decribed.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never heard of this either...your 2 to 10 week olds are going to have to have a heat lamp on them if they are outside or inside , they need to feather out good to be able to keep warm.....I use red heat lamp outside and just a 100 watt bulb down to a 60 watt inside the house in my brooder....I wouldn't not keep a lamp on adult chickens 24/7 unless the temps dipped down to zero with windchills in winter...I always use a red heat lamp then....

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by