Here's the situation: I have a beautiful 10 X 12 coop (shed actaully) that my hubby and I built this spring, well insulated, sided, shingles, etc. my birds are this years babes and are spoiled rotten of course. I started to use a lightbulb when the daylight started to get short to keep them laying. As it got colder out, I had heared that light bothers them at night when they are trying to sleep, so i traded it for a red heat lamp hanging from the ceiling on one side. It keeps the coop around 45 - 50 inside. right now the wind chill here is -10 F. outside temp is 20 F. They seem to not mind the heat lamp, and have actually sat on the roost near it after they have come in from outside when it was a little warmer with no wind chill (30F). they have plenty of room to get closer or farther away from the heat lamp as they desire. Half of the coop is mostly dark and half has the red light. Question is: Will the light bulb hurt them? the red light? i dont have a problem with humidity in my coop either. I have a thermo. and a humid. in it, and they stay fine. they are so spoiled. I really dont mind the heat bulb, it has not made a difference in my electric bill by more than $5/month.