Heat Lamps: When to add them

Personally I would not add heat. If you must then don't use infrared. Use a modest heat source and one that does not radiate heat like infrared. What ever is in line of infrared will overheat. You don't want to use that kind of heat source at all, you'll cook the birds under it if not start a fire.

Don't get confused by wind chill. It's often used to show how harsh it is outside but your chickens are not roosting outside. They are in a coop. That coop should not have major drafts therefore no wind.

Okay, I have heard adding more straw etc. would help.......Yay or Nay?

Quote: Ah, ok.
To be honest I'm not sure.

XD me too! I agree BUT there IS a ditch on both sides of the road(so to speak):

Good, Better, Best, Never let it rest,
'till your good is your better and your better is your best.
:)

Man, I'm sure glad God's with me! I sure as heck ain't good enough to lead this life.
Haha, I'm getting off subject too. :D

Ya, sure!
MW

Last edited:
Ah, ok.
To be honest I'm not sure.

XD me too! I agree BUT there IS a ditch on both sides of the road(so to speak):

'till your good is your better and your better is your best.
:)

Man, I'm sure glad God's with me! I sure as heck ain't good enough to lead this life.
Haha, I'm getting off subject too. :D

Ya, sure!
MW

What do you mean by XD?
'till your good is your better and your better is your best.~ I like that!
Lol, Have a great one!

Okay, I am sorry about that misunderstanding! It is about......Well, early teens. And the wind chills make it feel really cold.
I have Isa Browns, Pekin ducks, and my favorite.....Silkies. My Silkies are about 7 1/2 months, and my Isies are 2?
I usually refill the waterers throughout the day, because it freezes :(
Ha, okay, this might sound a bit OCD, but I like the glow of infrared lights, and the heat it brings (don't get me wrong....I don't sleep out there!) So I might just add the lights at night.
It drops like 5-10* at night in Michigan.
bunch!
Thank you a bunch.
-VA
Gotcha. I'm not familiar with silkies but if they're like other birds, which I'm sure they are, I'd think they'd be just fine without the supplemental heat. One thing to bear in mind if you're adding any kind of lights though is it would likely induce them to lay sooner/later into the year which could shorten their productive life. I don't know by how much but that's what a lot of people do that want their birds to lay into winter or earlier in the spring. Personally I just let my layers produce according to their own body clock since I believe that causes them a little less stress and prolongs their productivity. I just recently acquired some SOP birds and I definitely don't want to induce laying beyond their normal rate since good health is one of my breeding goals. Just something to think about if you hadn't considered it already.

Skip the extra heat and the lighting. Both can mess birds up more than help them. Chickens are well insulated and can keep themselves warm. I am more north than you are and we get a lot colder here. Tonight we have -35 wind chills. I have had silkies and currently have frizzles. All have done fine.

Block the winds, provide proper roosts, warm water twice a day, warm mash on really cold days, access to sunshine, things like hay to stand on and to give them something to do. They will be okay.

Skip the extra heat and the lighting. Both can mess birds up more than help them. Chickens are well insulated and can keep themselves warm. I am more north than you are and we get a lot colder here. Tonight we have -35 wind chills. I have had silkies and currently have frizzles. All have done fine.

Block the winds, provide proper roosts, warm water twice a day, warm mash on really cold days, access to sunshine, things like hay to stand on and to give them something to do. They will be okay.

Okay, I guess all of you have answered my concerns! Thank you beyond
-VA

Good bedding on the floor does help, and in a cold spell, it is good to LOWER the roost, so that they are away from the ceiling and walls. Their moisture from their breath can collect if too close and not enough ventilation.

If your windows are not on the prevailing wind side, don't worry about them.

Don't add the heat lamp.

Mrs K

Good bedding on the floor does help, and in a cold spell, it is good to LOWER the roost, so that they are away from the ceiling and walls. Their moisture from their breath can collect if too close and not enough ventilation.

If your windows are not on the prevailing wind side, don't worry about them.

Don't add the heat lamp.

Mrs K
Okay, I won't, I just spent the day winterizing and making the coop cozy! I think I might sleep out there just to show how cozy it is!
big_smile.png
Just Kidding
But Thank you Mrs. K, that is helpful!

Back
Top Bottom