heat light question

OzawkieBantams

Songster
12 Years
Sep 15, 2010
Ozawkie, KS
Do I leave the light on twenty fours a day. I have a 75 w flood light that i am using for my chicks. Can i turn the light off at night? Or do I need another source of heat at night for them. They are in my house. My house is very very small 400sqft and the light is very bright. My concern is that with the light on non stop these lil felleas and my self are getting no sleep with the light on.

any help..... Please

They will need the light at first for a little about 4 weeks if they are inside.But if the go outside then need it all tne time until they get bigger around 10-11 weeks

Can I sustatute the light with a heat rock or a reptile heating source..... Anything so I can not have such a bright light lighting up my entire house.

As long as you can maintain temperatures you can use something else. You just need to ckeck temps and make sure its not too hot or cold. For example you can put a heating pad under one end of the brooder so they can get on or off of it. Lay a thermometer on something to get the temperature. If It is not high enough, you can capture the heat by putting a small box upside down for them to get in. Chicks should have 95º all the time the first week, 90º the second, reducing it 5º per week. New chicks will chill and pile, dying, if left at room temperature overnight.

If they are in your house you do not need such a brite light for heat all you need is a 75 watt to a 60 watt reg Lightbulb that is plenty enough light and heat for them and if it is warm in your house you do not need it on 24/7 as long as there is no drafts and warm enough there should be no problem....

Good luck to you

Quote:
Its about 70-75 degrees in my house. They are in a 30 gallon fish tank as of now. I was thinking about a seed mat to place under them and useing a lower light. Like a 40 w or so.

Very important to keep the temps up for the first 4 weeks 24 hours a day and maintain
the temp. I have not shut mine off and my babies are now going on 4 weeks. If they
get hot they will run away from the heat and if they get cold they will get right near it.

Usually a red heat lamp is used which does not seem to disturb them much. In a small container like that, an ordinary light bulb colored red might be warm enough. You just have to check the thermometer, and their behavior, and see. (Do they huddle under the heat, or do they move as far away as they can?

In the meantime, if it were me, I'd have a soft rag tied around my head for a blindfold.

Back
Top Bottom