Heat plate & coop

sammi_lynn12

Songster
Sep 14, 2022
Grovertown, IN
Do you guys feel safe putting a heat plate within the coop with grown chickens while brooding baby chicks? I would have to run an extension cord to the plate and currently just have mats down, no saw dust.

Last thing I want is a fire. That is why I refuse to put a heat lamp in the coop with them but I wondered if a heat plate with an extension cord is safe inside a coop for brooding?

Thanks!

Do you guys feel safe putting a heat plate within the coop with grown chickens while brooding baby chicks? I would have to run an extension cord to the plate and currently just have mats down, no saw dust.

Last thing I want is a fire. That is why I refuse to put a heat lamp in the coop with them but I wondered if a heat plate with an extension cord is safe inside a coop for brooding?

Thanks!
You can, but the extension cord must be a heavy-duty/outdoor one, not a household one.

We use a cozy coop (same principle) in our coop all winter long. We used a staple gun with long staples to staple the cord up and out of the way, but there are all kinds of ways to tack it up.

Yes, the cord we have is an outdoor construction extension cord. Very heavy so I think we will be okay! I may not need it though. Everything went as planned last night, my broody mama accepted the chicks I gave her. It was so heartwarming to see honestly. She immediately tucked them underneath herself and was just so happy to finally have babies! (She has been broody for two months) I was just wanting a back up plan in case she rejected them but I think we should be okay! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom