Heat plate novice question

abenardini

Songster
7 Years
I have always used traditional lamps. Trying a heat plate for the first time. Does this height look ok?

Note:
I did move out the plate from the corner so there is space around the unit. I don’t want to cook these little guys that worked so hard to hatch today.

PS - they are quiet and not peeping. All learned to eat and drink and can get out from under the plate. :)

Attachments

• F73C1CCC-E0BE-4771-BCA3-7650874F4FC5.jpeg
    F73C1CCC-E0BE-4771-BCA3-7650874F4FC5.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 35
  • C51D5D4A-C0C0-4FDF-B63B-485320F96BFA.jpeg
    C51D5D4A-C0C0-4FDF-B63B-485320F96BFA.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1B3E5C61-EB33-42E1-A864-38AE4F0C0976.jpeg
    1B3E5C61-EB33-42E1-A864-38AE4F0C0976.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 35EAA9E0-46CF-4D71-90EC-2DEB112521C3.jpeg
    35EAA9E0-46CF-4D71-90EC-2DEB112521C3.jpeg
    525.1 KB · Views: 15
This style of heater for your chicks works by them lifting their head up to the plate, so as long as there's a spot under there where they can ALL be at once (if need be) and can reach the plate, then you'll be fine. I love love love my heat plate for brooding; no more cooked or pasty-butt babies. I also consider it to be a significantly safer option in regards to fire hazards or glass breakage since it doesn't have a bulb to explode should there be a power surge or sudden temperature change.

This style of heater for your chicks works by them lifting their head up to the plate, so as long as there's a spot under there where they can ALL be at once (if need be) and can reach the plate, then you'll be fine. I love love love my heat plate for brooding; no more cooked or pasty-butt babies. I also consider it to be a significantly safer option in regards to fire hazards or glass breakage since it doesn't have a bulb to explode should there be a power surge or sudden temperature change.
Thank you! I agree - I have only ever had a broken ceramic bulb once (never used red color) but it's a mess and a huge hazard, which is why I wanted to switch to plate heating. Appreciate the insight - I had thought their entire back had to be touching the plate (and that really didn't make sense). They can all get out easily now and when laying down, their heads can/do touch the plate. :)

I have a similar plate and I don't believe it's necessary for the chicks to touch the plate. They do need to be able to get close, though. I have an aquarium thermometer with a remote sensor under the plate and it reads about 99-degrees at the very back edge. I have it tilted pretty well (about an inch higher in the front) and the chicks at 4-days old are spending most of the time near the edge or out in the open. Of course, it is also 90+ (F) degrees here, so little chance they'll get cold in the brooder in the garage.

My chicks arriving in one day. Do I have to raise the legs of Brooder plate in front?

I did. It gives the chicks some choice in which area they will use the heater. If they are cold, they can move toward the lower area of the plate. I tilted my plate by 1", higher in the front. My chicks seem to be happy.
Ty..they arrive tomorrow and I want them to be warm enough. Arriving via post office. New nervious chick owner.

Back
Top Bottom