Heat plate reassurance in coop late March

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
I have the large 16 x 16 Premier 1 plate from last year when we tent brooded inside for a few weeks with 24.

Getting 6 to 8 chicks 3.24 and they will be in a draft free insulated coop in a wire cage 36 x 24 brooder box. Adding some protection to sides for the first week or 2 to insulate abit more for them. Large flake shavings to help insulate.

I've read thru past threads one had used this unit down to 6 degree lows. Others in 20s. We won't be near that but have no backup.

We are looking at 28 to 35 degree lows outside the coop will be around 40 at lowest.

So from what I've seen here this should be fine just looking at everything since I planned for a 4.15 date but things changed so now I am worrying.

Cage is going under the poop trays so I'm not sure I could do a ceramic heat lamp even if I wanted to I would worry more about that I don't want to add one. It will sit on a good layer of shavings also which should be helpful.I can add a blanket to two cage walls to create a spot to push the plate up to. But now I'm just obsessing. 🤪 !

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
What are your temperatures going to be?

I run dual heat with a plate and a lamp when it's much under 50F on general principles and particularly if it's going to go below freezing.

If nothing else, I don't want their water to freeze or, even, to be too terribly cold.
Right now I see 47/37 and 42/32 can't look further out yet. But coop at night is 10 to 15 degrees warmer than outside once pop door closes.

Correct about the water we may need to run warm water out a few times a day I don't think we have a second outlet but could run one.

Never had a heat lamp before plus don't want the birds to knock it down. If I could attach from inside to cage I'd think about it.

Trying to keep it simple.

I will turn up the heat in the heated nesting boxes that will help raise the coop temp too.

Thanks 3Bs!

Last edited:
I use a brooder plate in lower temperatures, but if it is below 40F I turn on a heat lamp over their food and water.
I can consider that thanks.

Since the cage will be right under the poop trays how would you suggest I attach it and which ones are the best that can get here quickly if not at my feed store . . .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom