Heat Problems and Lethargic Chicken

The Chick Addict

💖
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
Hello! Today, my chickens were acting as if they were having heat stress. Some of them were laying down and leaning against eachother and all of them were breathing through their mouths and had wings dropped. I put a big rubber feeder with cool water in it for them to drink from and step in to help cool off. I also put the hose in the smaller part of the run with mist mode on and anyone who comes out of the coop will get misted. I gave them a bowl of frozen blueberries to eat and they enjoyed that. I am planning on installing a fan in the coop probably tomorrow. They seem to be feeling a bit better. I should also mention that I am treating them for Coccidiosis.

One of my sister's hen, Celestia, was acting a bit lethargic and is also limping so I brought her inside. She ate a couple of frozen blueberries that I gave her and I had her drink a couple of drops of unflavored Pedialyte. I checked the bottom of her feet thoroughly and she has no injuries or anything. I am going to soak her feet in Lavender Epsom Salt as I do for every limping chicken and I will put Hen Healer on her foot and leg to help sooth whatever may be ailing her. I sat down with her and she wanted to sit on my lap. As of now, she is just standing there with her eyes open and her tail leaning downward. Is she just recovering from heat stress or is it something more serious? She has always been a calm sweet chicken and she is not acting too abnormal but I can tell that something is wrong. Thank y'all for any responses! 💚

How hot did it get? If it's over 95F it certainly can be heat related.
It was 102 F here. My flock is doing much better and so is Celestia! I think it also did not help that they are recovering from Coccidiosis, so that may have stressed them out a bit more. Thankfully, they are all doing great now. Thank you so much for the response. 💚

Back
Top Bottom