Heat question...

cleigh

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
My baby chicks are about 3-4 days old so they're supposed to be at 95 degrees. If I heat their brooder to 95 they act cold. They huddle together under the warmest section of the lamp. If I bump it up to 100 degrees they act happier - they'll wander around, play with each other, and seem more interested in getting food and water. They've shown no signs of getting too warm (no panting, no trying to get to the outer edges of the brooder). Even at 100 they like to stay near the warmest parts of the brooder. Should I just leave it warmer and decrease it by about 5 degrees a week or should I try to get them comfortable with 95? I've had them for not quite 24 hours.

Keep the comfortable, let them decide how warm they want to be, I'd keep the temp at 100. &then decrease on the schedule you have

Keep the comfortable, let them decide how warm they want to be, I'd keep the temp at 100. &then decrease on the schedule you have

Thanks! That's what I was thinking but I needed some reassurance since this is my first experience with chicks. They seem to be thriving with the temp at 100 so I'll keep it at that for now.

Back
Top Bottom