Heat record...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mom'sfolly, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    It has been 100+ degrees for 70 days this summer. The forecast for at least a week shows more temperatures in the 100s. A normal summer in the Austin area has 12 100+ days. The last time it was this hot was 1925, but we've come close several times in the last 5 years. In 1925, the record was set on September 5th, so we're looking at potentially several more weeks of heat. The average temperature since June 1st has been 89*, which may end up being the hottest since records started in 1854.

Bottom line...its stinking hot and it is staying that way for at least a couple more weeks. Antarctica is sounding mighty nice right now.[​IMG]

Please send cool and rainy thoughts in this direction.

2. Dapplepony

Dapplepony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    It`s so hot here too! I`m inside (thank goodness!) milling around BYC while it`s boiling hot outside at 111 degrees. I feel bad for my hens. I hope you get rain!

3. mom'sfolly

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    There is a famous quote from Davy Crockett that ends with "you all may go to [email protected] but I will go to Texas". This year is enough that it would made the poor man think the lost his way and ended up in the other place.

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I have fussed once or twice about the heat before but this yr is like none other! I will be thankful when the 90's arrive!

5. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I have an old T-shirt around somewhere that says, "I survived the summer of '80". Guess I'm gonna have make a new one!

6. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    mom'sfolly :

There is a famous quote from Davy Crockett that ends with "you all may go to [email protected] but I will go to Texas". This year is enough that it would made the poor man think the lost his way and ended up in the other place.

An older friend of mine (in her 80's) told me that "maybe it's just practice for what is surely coming soon" because of her age [​IMG]

7. Dapplepony

Jul 19, 2010
    Quote:An older friend of mine (in her 80's) told me that "maybe it's just practice for what is surely coming soon" because of her age [​IMG]

Too funny!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. mom'sfolly

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Going outside to hook up the mister for the the chickens...dang it's hot!

9. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Seriously the heat is kind of ridiculous lately. I have decided that this winter when anyone complains about it being cold I will kick them in the shin [​IMG]

10. Dapplepony

Jul 19, 2010
    mom'sfolly :

Going outside to hook up the mister for the the chickens...dang it's hot!

My hens are... Oh YAY!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] WE have cloud cover!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] WOOHOO!!!!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by