Heat-resistant breed

harpojaeger

Hatching
Apr 17, 2015
Hi all,
New to BYC but have plenty of experience raising birds. I've just moved to the Southwest (Tucson, AZ) from New England, and will be starting a small (~4 for now) flock. Would appreciate some advice from other SW BYCers on which breeds are particularly good for the dry, extremely hot summers here. The run I'm building will be shaded, but it can get up to 110 degrees here and I don't want anyone dying during the summer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Harpo

Yikes, that's quite the change in location. Didn't like the tundra?

I'm sure someone more experienced with hot climates will chime in but I expect any of the Mediterranean breeds will do well.

As keesmom said, the Mediterranean breeds typically do well in very hot climates. The downside is that the Mediterranean breeds are typically high strung and flighty. If you want a calm and gentle breed I would suggest Australorps, which are very heat tolerant (not surprising since they are frequently raised in the Australian outback where it gets very hot). I raised Black Australorps in CA where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes more), and while my other dual purpose breeds were listless, panting, and holding their wings out from their bodies, my Black Australorps went about their usual business like troopers. In addition, they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds.

The top choice will always be Naked Necks, aka Turkens.

Where I am, the summers are 110-120F(they didn't name it Sun City to be ironic..) and they do great. Better than everything else.

They are a dual purpose and generally are great layers. It is too bad that so many are shied off from their naked necks but they really are great birds. A high percentage of first time owners become very charmed with this breed.

Last edited:
Excellent! I've raised Australorps before and remember them being really fun. Haven't done Turkens in the past, but maybe we'll give it a shot! If anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear them!

My Barred Rock and Cherry Eggers don't seem to be affected by the heat. Although they have ice water, frozen treats, and a fan. They don't hang out around the fan much and still go about their normal business. It's in the 90s here. :/ I'm not sure if they are usually heat hardy or not but mine seem to be.

I'm in Las Vegas and we have had chickens for a while now. We lost a Silver Laced Wynedott this summer due to the heat, but the others, Rhode Island reds. Ameraucana and Cream Legbars all seemed to do well. The Cream Legbars really did the best, but they are also the only ones we bought from a local hatchery so I am wondering if that had any to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom